Date:	Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:57:39 -0800 (PST)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	gdt@....id.au
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Netconf at conf.au 2008?

From: Glen Turner <gdt@....id.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:31:20 +1030

> If you have trouble hosting netconf next year please get in
> touch.  Although AARNet could not sponsor the flights or
> accommodation we could provide everything else you require.

I appreciate the offer, but the funding is the one and only issue.

I have more ways to get conference facilities and network connectivity
for them than I need.

> so if you and the netdev people were willing to hold a one-day
> training/workshop of interest to academic and research network
> users (say network host tuning) before/after your meeting then
> we'd have no trouble getting sponsorship via the training
> event that would be sufficient to cover the airfares and
> accommodation for the larger event.

We're really not interested in things like this, but thanks for
mentioning.

At best what we do is allow one or two representatives from a major
sponsoring party to attend and give a presentation (netconf is invite
only, so this is a big deal).  And that presentation must be on
practical work the presenter has done or is doing with the Linux
networking upstream (ie. it can't be a "our company needs the Linux
networking to do X", some sales/marketing pitch, or "here's cool
proprietary Y we're doing with Linux")