Date:	Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:48:19 -0700
From:	Grant Grundler <grundler@...isc-linux.org>
To:	Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@...ox.com>
Cc:	Grant Grundler <grundler@...isc-linux.org>,
	Ondrej Zary <linux@...nbow-software.org>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Compex FreedomLine 32 PnP-PCI2 broken with de2104x

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 02:30:00AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Grant Grundler wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 05:40:42PM +0100, Ondrej Zary wrote:
>>> I think that de2104x driver should be removed (or at least its
>>> MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE) and MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE with only 21040 and 21041
>>> PCI IDs added to de4x5.
>>>
>>> I can send a patch if this is acceptable.
>> It's acceptable to me. Jeff? (jgarzik)
>
> NAK, sorry, for two reasons:
>
> 1) we don't delete otherwise clean, working drivers

Just to be clear - he's not trying to remove the driver.
He's just interested in making de4x5 the "default" for this set of boards
by doctoring with the pci device ids each driver will claim.

>     simply because of a bug triggered by unplugging a cable.

Ondrej would be happy to test any patches sent. Tracking this sort
of bug down usually isn't trivial as the statement above implies.

> 2) de4x5 needs to go away.

Ok. I'd prefer to wait until someone demonstrates de2104x driver is a fully
functional alternative for all the PCI Ids it claims.

thanks,
grant