Date:	Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:01:29 -0500
From:	Wenji Wu <wenji@...l.gov>
To:	Ilpo Järvinen <ilpo.jarvinen@...sinki.fi>
Cc:	John Heffner <johnwheffner@...il.com>,
	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: RE: A Linux TCP SACK Question

> No, this is not right. The old_ack happens only if left edge
> backtracks, in which case we obviously should discard as it's stale
> information (except SACK may reveal something not yet known which is
> why sacktag is called there). This same applies regardless of SACK (no
>
> tagging of course).

Yes, I mis-present myself in the last email. What I meant is the left edge backtrack case as you have pointed out.

> I think you might have found a bug though it won't affect you but
> makes
> that check easier to pass actually:
>
> Questionable thing is that || in tcp_may_raise_cwnd (might not be
> intentional)...
>
> But in your case, during initial slow-start that condition in
> tcp_may_raise_cwnd will always be true (if you've metrics are cleared
> as
> they should). Because: (...not important || 1) && 1 because cwnd <
> ssthresh. After that, when you don't have ECE nor are in recovery,
> tcp_may_raise_cwnd results in this: (1 || ...not calculated) && 1, so
> it
> should always allow increment in your case except when in recovery
> which
> hardly makes up for the difference you're seeing...

You are right, I just printed out the return value of tcp_may_raise_cwnd(). It is all one!

> This would only make difference if any of those SACK blocks were new.
> If
> they're not, DATA_SACKED_ACKED won't be set in flag.
>
> > >  Not quite sure, just a guess.
>
> You seem to be missing the third case, which I tried to point out
> earlier. The case where left edge remains the same. I think it makes a
>
> huge difference here (I'll analyse non-recovery case here):
>
> NewReno goes always to fastretrans_alert, to default branch, and
> because
> it's is_dupack, it increments sacked_out through tcp_add_reno_sack.
> Effectively packets_in_flight is reduced by one and TCP is able to
> send
> a new segment out.
>
> Now with SACK there are two cases:
>
> SACK and newly discovere SACK info (for simplicity, lets assume just
> one
> newly discovered sacked segment). Sacktag marks that segment and
> increment
> sacked_out, effectively making packets_in_flight equal to the case
> with
> NewReno. It goes to fastretrans_alert and makes all similar maneuvers
> as
> NewReno (except if enough SACK blocks have arrived to trigger recovery
>
> while NewReno would not have enough dupACKs collected, I doubt that
> this
> makes the difference though, I'll need no-metricsed logs to verify the
>
> number of recoveries to confirm that they're quite few).
>
> SACK and no new SACK info. Sacktag won't find anything to mark, thus
> sacked_out remains the same. It goes to fastretrans_alert because
> ca_state
> is CA_Disorder. But, now we did lose one segment compared with NewReno
>
> because we didn't increment sacked_out making packets_in_flight to
> stay in
> the amount it was before. Thus we cannot send new data segment out and
>
> fall behind the NewReno.

Agree with you. Thanks. You did give me a good class on Linux ACK/SACK implementation. Thank you.

> > I had considered this, but it would seem that tcp_may_raise_cwnd() in
> > this case *should* return true, right?
>
> Yes, it seems. Though I think that it's unintentional. I'd say that
> that
> || should be && but I might be wrong.

Yes, It is all ture!

wenji