Date:	Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:27:14 +0300 (EEST)
From:	"Ilpo Järvinen" <ilpo.jarvinen@...sinki.fi>
To:	Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@...tstofly.org>
cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, akarkare@...vell.com,
	nico@....org, Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
Subject: Re: using software TSO on non-TSO capable netdevices

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> > > Interesting, I'll take a closer look at this.
> > >
> > > Actually your patch is less of a surprise, because one of the issues I
> > > had to surmount constantly when rewriting the TSO output path was the
> > > implicit conflict between TSO deferral (to accumulate segments) and
> > > the nagle logic.
> >
> > I think your statement makes very little sense to me (though I had to
> > lookup the meaning of surmount but that seems not so significant
> > anyway)... They both work into the same direction, ie., to delay sending
> > to prevent excessive processing of small bits, but the region of operation
> > shouldn't overlap (nagle works with <mss, and tso deferring logic
> > basically begins from where the nagle ends)?
> >
> > It seems to me that this not about conflict between TSO deferring and
> > nagle sub-mss logic at all (perhaps there wasn't as direct relation to
> > this issue as I read...?) AFAICT, the change only makes (!nonagle &&
> > tp->packets_out && tcp_minshall_check(tp)) test in tcp_nagle_check more
> > likely to occur (and result in false), ie., basically we end up using
> > nagle test also to prevent sending of >= mss skbs, besides the usual
> > functionality which is to prevent sending in case of < mss sized ones.
> > ...Which seems just an extension to what we checked for in
> > tcp_tso_should_defer().
>
> I wanted a way to get larger GSO segments, and the idea was to rig
> the nagle check to consider sub-N*mss frames as small frames and not
> let more than one of them into the pipe at any given time.  I don't
> know whether the change I made accomplishes exactly that, but it did
> end up giving me larger GSO segments, which was the goal.
>
> It makes the GSO segment size distribution pretty chaotic, though:

Your test accomplishes that only if there's a small segment in the
outstanding window, ie., snd_sml points to outs. win (or packets_out is
zero but that's probably not relevant).

Why not experimenting with modifying tcp_tso_should_defer instead to make
it fully independent of snd_sml (existance of a sub mss skb in-flight),
just make sure you don't try to defer past what min(tp->snd_cwnd,
tcp_wnd_end(tp)) can give you at most (in theory you could apply some
optimism and go even above in a slow start but that's not going to be very
robust approach :-)).

--
 i.