Date:	Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:35:50 -0700
From:	Yan Seiner <yan@...ner.com>
To:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...izon.net>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	aabdulla@...dia.com
Subject: Re: mcp55 forcedeth woes

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2009, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> It was in 2.6.29-rc8 or 9 that they finally got the ability to turn them
>>> back on on my identical mobo.  Through most of the 29-rcx series we had
>>> the choice of rebooting with the reset button, or powering everything
>>> associated with the ports down for about 2 minutes so they would forget
>>> they were turned off by a graceful shutdown.  Now they are turned off (and
>>> I've still NDI why) and back on like they are supposed to be.   I called
>>> that a PIMA.
>>>
>> Yeah, I've been fighting this for a while....  The boards are rock-solid
>> under load, which is why I like them.... But this is a PITA.
>>
>> This board worked fine, then I shutdown and the ports have not come back
>> since.  I'm running 2.6.29.1 - no joy on the ports.
>>

> Shut it down, including removing the power cord, and unplug all ethernet
> cables attached, give it time to fully discharge all stored power in the caps,
> at least 30 secs, I usually go make a cup of tea in the microwave, so its
> about 3 minutes.  Plug everything back in and power it up, they should work
> again.
>
> However, I've been running 2.6.29.1-rc2, and that has not been a problem, I
> can see the leds on the ports go plumb dark at it runs the shutdown, and come
> back on about 15 seconds before the init.d/network script runs as it boots up.
>

>> I'm building forcedeth from .30-rc1 - we'll see if that helps.
>> Something like 15% of the driver changed, so it's still in very heavy
>> development.
>>

> Wow!  Like you, I'm using forcedeth. 2.6.29.1-rc1 did have a short uptime for
> forcedeth bug IIRC, but so far, -rc2 has lasted longer than KDE-4.2.1 on this
> F10 system will, I had an 8 day uptime at first, and I'm in the 5th day again.
> I killed it the first time screwing with some worthless bluetooth dongles I
> got from USBGear.  Locked it up tighter than a Nebraska bulls ass in flytime.
> Had to use the reset button. :(

I followed Gene's advice and got some progress....

port 0 is now fully functional.  Port 1, however, remains in its
semi-zombie state.  Maybe I'll take the machine off-line longer next
time.   Maybe I'll sacrifice a black and white chicken at the same time.

I also back-ported 2.9.30-rc1 forcedeth.c to my 2.6.29.1 kernel; no
difference whatsoever.

One other observation:

On the switch, the status LEDs glow with half-brightness when I enable
port 1 using ethtool...  This leads me to suspect that the voltage
levels on the port aren't normal.  Not being a hardware engineer, I have
no idea what importance this has; I am offering this as an observation.

--Yan

--
Yan Seiner

Support my bid for the 4J School Board.