Date:	Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:34:42 -0400
From:	"John Stoffel" <john@...ffel.org>
To:	Yan Seiner <yan@...ner.com>
Cc:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...izon.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	aabdulla@...dia.com
Subject: Re: mcp55 forcedeth woes

Yan> Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Yeah, I've been fighting this for a while....  The boards are rock-solid
>>> under load, which is why I like them.... But this is a PITA.
>>>
>>> This board worked fine, then I shutdown and the ports have not come back
>>> since.  I'm running 2.6.29.1 - no joy on the ports.
>>>

>> Shut it down, including removing the power cord, and unplug all ethernet
>> cables attached, give it time to fully discharge all stored power in the caps,
>> at least 30 secs, I usually go make a cup of tea in the microwave, so its
>> about 3 minutes.  Plug everything back in and power it up, they should work
>> again.
>>
>> However, I've been running 2.6.29.1-rc2, and that has not been a problem, I
>> can see the leds on the ports go plumb dark at it runs the shutdown, and come
>> back on about 15 seconds before the init.d/network script runs as it boots up.
>>

>>> I'm building forcedeth from .30-rc1 - we'll see if that helps.
>>> Something like 15% of the driver changed, so it's still in very heavy
>>> development.
>>>

>> Wow!  Like you, I'm using forcedeth. 2.6.29.1-rc1 did have a short uptime for
>> forcedeth bug IIRC, but so far, -rc2 has lasted longer than KDE-4.2.1 on this
>> F10 system will, I had an 8 day uptime at first, and I'm in the 5th day again.
>> I killed it the first time screwing with some worthless bluetooth dongles I
>> got from USBGear.  Locked it up tighter than a Nebraska bulls ass in flytime.
>> Had to use the reset button. :(
>>
Yan> I followed Gene's advice and got some progress....

Yan> port 0 is now fully functional.  Port 1, however, remains in its
Yan> semi-zombie state.  Maybe I'll take the machine off-line longer next
Yan> time.   Maybe I'll sacrifice a black and white chicken at the same time.

Yan> I also back-ported 2.9.30-rc1 forcedeth.c to my 2.6.29.1 kernel; no
Yan> difference whatsoever.

Yan> One other observation:

Yan> On the switch, the status LEDs glow with half-brightness when I enable
Yan> port 1 using ethtool...  This leads me to suspect that the voltage
Yan> levels on the port aren't normal.  Not being a hardware engineer, I have
Yan> no idea what importance this has; I am offering this as an observation.

I've also got one of these boards, but I seem to recall that 2.6.28
and higher worked just fine, but when I was chasing another problem
with complete system crashes when running tcpdump, I found the dead
port problem as well.

Thanks for posting your workaround, they'll be a big help.  Esp if I
put them in early to the system boot process as a quick hack.

The M2N-SLI Deluxe boards are nice though, stable stable stable.  I've
been very happy with mine.  I wonder if there's a newer BIOS which
might address some of these issues as well, since it seems to me that
the BIOS, esp on power up, should be reseting the ports to something
more sane.

John