Date:	Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:14:26 -0400
From:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
To:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	fweisbec@...il.com, billfink@...dspring.com,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, brice@...i.com, gallatin@...i.com
Subject: Re: Receive side performance issue with multi-10-GigE and NUMA

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 07:33:55PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Neil Horman wrote:

> > > I stand by that statement, the argument is invalid, for the many
> > > reasons i outlined in my previous mails. (you'd have gotten those
> > > same arguments had you submitted that patch to the folks who
> > > maintain kernel/trace/)
> > >

> > Steven specifically told me to submit the patch to the subsystem maintainer that
> > I'm adding tracepoints for, and the only feedback I got on it was his one
> > question, the answer to which I assume satisfied him, due to that there was no
> > subseuqent discussion.  I'm going to ignore your previous emails, because,
> > despite the various advantages of just using plain TRACE_EVENTs because you
> > provide the ftrace interface, and I found it useful.  Your observation is
> > correct, I like it, and thats what I wanted to use, so I used it.  If you don't
> > want people to use it, don't provide it.
>
> Actually, I suggested to submit it to the subsystem maintainer if there
> was no changes to the tracing infrastructure. We may have just had a
> misunderstanding there. No biggy.

I'm not sure how the addition of an ftrace module constitutes a change to the
tracing infrastructure, but whatever, yes, no biggy.  I've bugun modifying the
TRACE_EVENT that I added to export the data I need directly.  Should be pretty
straightforward.  Dave I'll have a patch up on netdev in a day or two after I
test it.  Steven, should this still just go to netdev with a cc to you?  I'd
like to avoid repeating the same confusion here a second time around if I can

> > Ok, I'm rather tired of arguing.  Dave, I'll leave this in your hands.  The code
> > I wrote works fairly well in my view, and I feel like the review on it was both
> > positive and sufficent for inclusion.  But thats not my call, its yours.  I can
> > meet my own need with a raw TRACE_EVENT for now just as easily.  IF you feel
> > like the skb plugin should be pulled, please do so, and let me know.  All I ask
> > is that you keep the skb_copy_datagram_iovec TRACE_EVENT in place.  If you pull
> > the ftrace plugin, I'll submit a subsequent patch to agument the printing format
> > so that I can gather the numa allocation and consumption data directly there.
>
> Yes, please keep the TRACE_EVENT (I think we can all agree on that ;-).

Yes, that is rather centeral to what I'm monitoring :)

> You probably already read my previous email on the matter. Don't delete
> your plugin patch until we get everything you need with TRACE_EVENT alone.

Its ok, I should have the TRACE_EVENT modified to export this stuff directly by
tomorrow or friday anyway.  I really honestly just liked the ftrace interface
better, I found it a bit less confusing :)

Best
Neil