Date:	Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:40:41 -0800
From:	Vasu Dev <vasu.dev@...ux.intel.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, eric.dumazet@...il.com
Cc:	jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	gospo@...hat.com, vasu.dev@...el.com
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 1/3] vlan: adds vlan_dev_select_queue

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:43 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:51:15 +0100
>
> > This is a bit dangerous and deserves a self contained patch IMHO.

OK, I'll create separate patch for this.

> > I would add for example a
> > 	BUG_ON(vlandev->real_num_tx_queues > vlandev->num_tx_queues)

I'll add this.

> > ------------------
> >
> > For performance reason, we could avoid calling vlan_dev_select_queue()
> > for real devices without ndo_select_queue() handler, this would need to
> > mirror vlan_netdev_ops & vlan_netdev_accel_ops.

This means vlan_netdev_ops & vlan_netdev_accel_ops not to be const
anymore so that vlan_dev_select_queue() could be initialized to vlan ops
based on real dev ndo_select_queue() present or not, should be okay to
be not const anymore. I'll update patch as suggested.

> > It would also make vlan_dev_select_queue shorter and not duplicates
> > internals of net/dev/core.c :

Good reasons.

> > static u16 vlan_dev_select_queue(struct net_device *dev, struct sk_buff
> > *skb)
> > {
> >        struct net_device *rdev = vlan_dev_info(dev)->real_dev;
> >        const struct net_device_ops *ops = rdev->netdev_ops;
> >
> >        return ops->ndo_select_queue(rdev, skb);
> > }
> >

> Jeff, please resubmit this patch set after addressing
> Eric's feedback.

I'm updating patches per Eric's feedback to have Jeff resubmit these
patches.

	Vasu