Date:	Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:07:13 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	sclark46@...thlink.net
Cc:	Marcel Holtmann <marcel@...tmann.org>,
	Elina Pasheva <epasheva@...rrawireless.com>,
	David Brownell <dbrownell@...rs.sourceforge.net>,
	Rory Filer <rfiler@...rrawireless.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-usb <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NET: usb: sierra_net.c driver

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 08:30 -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
> On 03/28/2010 08:44 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> >> Why shouldn't that happen if they look like NIC cards?
> > [...]
> >
> > This information is important for management interfaces.  The user
> > doesn't care what your device looks like at the kernel level - they know
> > it's a wireless broadband device and they expect to see a device
> > labelled as such in Network Manager or whatever they use.
> >
> > Ben.
> >
> You sound like a windows guy!

Guess again - I've been using Linux on my own desktops and laptops for
12 years.

> Whats with everything having to use
> NetworkManager!? Are people so dumb they can't figure things out from
> the command line.

Yes, people are so 'dumb' they actually want to use their computers
without having to learn and remember every detail about them, and
there's nothing wrong with that.  Today I work on network drivers but
I'll admit my ignorance of the details of WPA configuration and I'm
happy to use Network Manager on my laptop.

> If it acts like a NIC it should be a NIC.

Users know that NICs have cables and this doesn't, so it's not a NIC.

> I am so tired of eveyone trying to make Linux look and act like WINBLOWS.

Written like a true fanboy.

If you don't mind, some of us have work to do.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.