Date:	Mon, 3 May 2010 23:02:21 +0200
From:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
Cc:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fun with if_bridge.h and br_private.h

On Monday 03 May 2010 22:36:13 Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > In file included from net/core/dev.c:104:
> > include/linux/if_bridge.h:106: warning: "struct net_bridge_port" declared inside parameter list
> > include/linux/if_bridge.h:106: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
> > net/core/dev.c:2331: error: conflicting types for "br_handle_frame_hook"
> > include/linux/if_bridge.h:105: error: previous declaration of "br_handle_frame_hook" was here
> > net/core/dev.c:2333: error: conflicting types for "br_handle_frame_hook"
> > include/linux/if_bridge.h:105: error: previous declaration of "br_handle_frame_hook" was here
> >
> > This happens because net/bridge/br_private.h includes if_bridge.h before
> > it defines net_bridge_port.
> >
> > Any thoughts on how best to allow handle_bridge() see the definition
> > of struct net_bridge_port?
> >

> Why not make it a void *, there is no reason to make core code depend
> on br_private.h.

Ah, right. That's actually how I changed the definition of br_port to
start with. Sorry Paul, I had totally forgotten about this.
Not sure if we also need to change the br_handle_frame_hook prototype,
I think the forward declaration for struct net_bridge_port that I had
in my long patch was actually sufficient.

	Arnd