Date:	Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:09:25 -0400
From:	Brian Bloniarz <bmb@...enacr.com>
To:	Alexander Clouter <alex@...riz.org.uk>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SO_REUSEPORT

On 06/23/2010 03:54 AM, Alexander Clouter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tim Prepscius <timprepscius@...il.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is SO_REUSEPORT available 2.6.ish - (or any version)?
>> I've been searching for a conclusive answer to this question and can't
>> find it.
>>
> That will be a no then:
> ----
> alex@...k:~$ grep SO_REUSEPORT -r /usr/src/linux-2.6-stable/include/
> /usr/src/linux-2.6-stable/include/asm-generic/socket.h:/* To add :#define SO_REUSEPORT 15 */
> ----
>
>> (yes I know of SO_REUSEADDR, and I know the difference between this
>> and *PORT, and yes I know that I *definitely* need SO_REUSEPORT, no,
>> I'm unconcerned this may/may not be part of a "standard," yes I know
>> it is implemented differently on different systems, yes I know there
>> may be security problems, but no, I don't care about this.)
>>
> This really sounds like the sort of thing (for TCP/SCTP) where the
> 'master' process would maintain the listening socket and upon accept()
> you would fork() or pass the file descriptor off to a thread.  This
> would make SO_REUSEPORT un-necessary and also your code would be
> portable.
>
> If you are doing things with UDP (or another datagram-esque stream) then
> your master listener could pass off the incoming packets to
> threads/processes trivially.
>
> Of course this depends on what you are doing, but my opinion is that the
> functionality has been unneeded so far by people in the kernel, so *I*
> must be doing something wrong ;)

Tom Herbert gave a pretty great description of why you
might want this functionality in his original patch submission:

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2010/4/19/6274993

If you follow that thread though, there wasn't consensus about
the best architecture & API for it, and nothing has made it
yet.

I'm adding netdev to the cc, AFAIK it's the place for discussing
stuff like this.