Date:	Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:50:18 -0700
From:	Dimitris Michailidis <dm@...lsio.com>
To:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
CC:	Peter Waskiewicz <peter.p.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: (Lack of) specification for RX n-tuple filtering

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> The n-tuple filtering facility is half-baked at present.  There is an
> interface to add filters but none to remove them!  And ETHTOOL_GRXNTUPLE
> is not at all symmetric with ETHTOOL_SRXNTUPLE (which I complained about
> at the time it was added, to no avail).

It's a bit worse than that.  Currently one can only append filters, not
insert at a given position, as ethtool_rx_ntuple doesn't have an index
field.  For devices that use TCAMs, where position matters, it's quite an
obstacle.  It also means one cannot modify an existing filter by specifying
a new filter for the same index.