Date:	Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:46:50 +1100
From:	Michael Ellerman <michael@...erman.id.au>
To:	Jon Mason <jon.mason@...r.com>
Cc:	Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@...tuousgeek.org>, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>, linux-media@...r.kernel.org,
	Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@...i.com>,
	Brice Goglin <brice@...i.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	Solarflare linux maintainers <linux-net-drivers@...arflare.com>,
	Steve Hodgson <shodgson@...arflare.com>,
	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Ivo van Doorn <IvDoorn@...il.com>,
	Gertjan van Wingerde <gwingerde@...il.com>,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, Brian King <brking@...ibm.com>,
	Anil Ravindranath <anil_ravindranath@...-sierra.com>,
	linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org, Jaya Kumar <jayakumar.alsa@...il.com>,
	boyod.yang@...iconmotion.com.cn
Subject: Re: PCI: make pci_restore_state return void

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 17:43 -0600, Jon Mason wrote:
> pci_restore_state only ever returns 0, thus there is no benefit in
> having it return any value.  Also, a large majority of the callers do
> not check the return code of pci_restore_state.  Make the
> pci_restore_state a void return and avoid the overhead.

It does kind of make me nervous that (basically) no one ever checks the
return code from the PCI config space accessors, even though in theory
they can fail. This code being but one example.

/end random comment :)

cheers

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)