Date:	Tue, 1 Mar 2011 19:14:55 -0500
From:	John Bermudez <jbermudez@...cservice.com>
To:	"Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>
CC:	cramerj <cramerj@...el.com>,
	"Ronciak, John" <john.ronciak@...el.com>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
	"Kok, Auke-jan H" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>,
	"e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net"
	<e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Subject: RE: e1000 - rx misses

Thanks for your time
Can you tell me the command to lengthen the input fifo rx queue?
is this possible

Thank you and have a nice day,

Mr. John Bermudez
NOC Level 3 Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: Brandeburg, Jesse [mailto:jesse.brandeburg@...el.com]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 11:05 AM
To: John Bermudez
Cc: cramerj; Ronciak, John; Kirsher, Jeffrey T; Kok, Auke-jan H; netdev@...r.kernel.org; e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net

added e1000-devel, responses inline...

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, John Bermudez wrote:

> Hello All,
> I got your contact info in a forum.
> maybe you could give me a quick pointer.
>
> I have a device that is experiencing RX misses. I tried 1000/full and 100/full
> it occurs at both speeds. I seem to get a burst of loss so I am assuming I am overrunning the FIFO RX queue.

overrunning at 100Mb/s seems pretty unlikely to be our hardware's fault,
as your buffer (in time) is increasing by 10x.

> Any known workarounds?
> Configuration modifications?
>
> your time is much appreciated
>

> /lib/modules/2.4.31-uc0/kernel/drivers/net/e1000
> # ls
> e1000.o

ow, 2.4.31 kernel is pretty much so old as to not be supportable.

> # ethtool -S eth1
> NIC statistics:
>      rx_packets: 217454512
>      tx_packets: 266698397
>      rx_bytes: 172995819593
>      tx_bytes: 246744709750
>      rx_broadcast: 0
>      tx_broadcast: 528
<snip>
>      rx_no_buffer_count: 925

This count above indicates that your cpu is not returning buffers to
hardware fast enough.  Do you have NAPI enabled?

>      rx_missed_errors: 48206

This error means that for the length of time the fifo was buffering the
adapter was not able to get any data buffers from the OS, filled the FIFO
and had to drop this many packets.

>      tx_aborted_errors: 0
>      tx_carrier_errors: 0
>      tx_fifo_errors: 0
>      tx_heartbeat_errors: 0
>      tx_window_errors: 0
>      tx_abort_late_coll: 0
>      tx_deferred_ok: 0
>      tx_single_coll_ok: 0
>      tx_multi_coll_ok: 0
>      tx_timeout_count: 0
>      tx_restart_queue: 0
>      rx_long_length_errors: 0
>      rx_short_length_errors: 0
>      rx_align_errors: 0
>      tx_tcp_seg_good: 0
>      tx_tcp_seg_failed: 0
>      rx_flow_control_xon: 0
>      rx_flow_control_xoff: 0
>      tx_flow_control_xon: 0
>      tx_flow_control_xoff: 0

flow control is either not happenning or is disabled, if it is disabled
you could try enabling it on both ends to get a little more buffering in
your switch.

>      rx_long_byte_count: 172995819593
>      rx_csum_offload_good: 217406235
>      rx_csum_offload_errors: 17
>      rx_header_split: 0
>      alloc_rx_buff_failed: 0
>      tx_smbus: 0
>      rx_smbus: 5262

hm, you have IPMI traffic, could these be related to your stalls?

>      dropped_smbus: 0
> #
>

> Thank you and have a nice day,
>
> Mr. John Bermudez
> NOC Level 3 Engineer

You didn't include lots of data we need, like hardware type, adapter/chip,
ethtool -i output, cat /proc/interrupts, system info, .config, etc.

I suggest that something is running either in interrupt context on your
system for a very long time (keeping us from running our interrupt
handler) or that your cpu is underpowered and unable to keep up with
whatever tasks it is running besides the network driver.

If you wish to continue troubleshooting please file a bug at e1000.sf.net
and attach the requested info there.

Jesse