Date:	Sat, 4 Jun 2011 23:23:45 +0100
From:	Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...stanetworks.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] breakage in sysfs_readdir() and s_instances abuse in sysfs

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 06:55:12AM +0900, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 6:22 AM, Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Are you OK with the sketch above? ?I can probably cook a patch along those
> > lines by tomorrow...
>
> I'm ok with the sketch, but might think otherwise when actually seeing
> the patch. And I wish some namespace person would look at this issue.
> And the networking people would seem to need to be aware of it too,
> but you've only cc'd fsdevel, so they are entirely unaware of the

Eh...  The question had been to Eric, unless that pile is actually yours...
netdev Cc'd, and I'll forward the previous posting there in a few.

FWIW, reproducing that is trivial: on a box with netns enabled:

dizzy:~# unshare -n -- sh -c "mount -t sysfs none /mnt; ls -l /mnt/class/net; ls
 -l /mnt/class/net/eth0"
[ 1301.429755] IPv4 FIB: Using LC-trie version 0.409
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun  4 18:16 lo -> ../../devices/virtual/net/lo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun  4 18:16 sit0 -> ../../devices/virtual/net/sit0
ls: cannot access /mnt/class/net/eth0: No such file or directory
dizzy:~# ls -l /mnt/class/net/; ls -l /mnt/class/net/eth0
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun  4 18:17 /mnt/class/net/eth0 -> ../../devices/pci00
00:00/0000:00:09.0/net/eth0

IOW, while netns is alive we get sane behaviour - lookup for class/net/eth0
fails, since there's no such object in that netns.  Once it's gone, we get
class/net in that sysfs instance empty on readdir *and* lookup for
class/net/eth0 succeeds giving us an object from another netns.

Apologies for not adding netdev - it started as sysfs-internal race, so the
beginning of that thread went to fsdevel...