Date:	Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:23:24 -0700
From:	Roopa Prabhu <roprabhu@...co.com>
To:	Sridhar Samudrala <sri@...ibm.com>
CC:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	<dragos.tatulea@...il.com>, <arnd@...db.de>, <dwang2@...co.com>,
	<benve@...co.com>, <kaber@...sh.net>, <davem@...emloft.net>,
	<eric.dumazet@...il.com>, <mchan@...adcom.com>,
	<kvm@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/3 RFC] macvlan: MAC Address filtering
 support for passthru mode

On 9/11/11 9:30 PM, "Sridhar Samudrala" <sri@...ibm.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, but what I mean is, if the size of the single filter table
>>> is limited, we need to decide how many addresses is
>>> each guest allowed. If we let one guest ask for
>>> as many as it wants, it can lock others out.
>> Yes true. In these cases ie when the number of unicast addresses being
>> registered is more than it can handle, The VF driver will put the VF  in
>> promiscuous mode (Or at least its supposed to do. I think all drivers do
>> that).
>>
> What does putting VF in promiscuous mode mean?  How can the NIC decide
> which set
> of mac addresses are passed to the VF? Does it mean VF sees all the
> packets received
> by the NIC including packets destined for other VFs/PF?

Yes I think so. After your question I looked at 2 other  VF drivers and
looks like they return error if num unicast addresses exceeds the number
supported by hw and don't put the VF in promiscuous mode. But one could put
the VF in promiscuous mode by changing IFF_FLAGS I think.

The original in-kernel passthru mode code puts the VF in promiscuous mode by
default. Am assuming that works well with other sriov cards you got a chance
to try out with.

Thanks,
Roopa