Date:	Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:46:46 -0700
From:	Roopa Prabhu <roprabhu@...co.com>
To:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
CC:	Sridhar Samudrala <sri@...ibm.com>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	<dragos.tatulea@...il.com>, <arnd@...db.de>, <dwang2@...co.com>,
	<benve@...co.com>, <kaber@...sh.net>, <davem@...emloft.net>,
	<eric.dumazet@...il.com>, <mchan@...adcom.com>,
	<kvm@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/3 RFC] macvlan: MAC Address filtering
 support for passthru mode

The netlink patch is still in the works. I will post the patches after I
clean it up a bit and also accommodate or find answers to most questions
discussed for non-passthru case. Thought I will post the netlink interface
here to see if anyone has any early comments. I have a
rtnl_link_ops->set_rx_filter defined.

[IFLA_RX_FILTER] = {
    [IFLA_ADDRESS_FILTER] = {
        [IFLA_ADDRESS_FILTER_FLAGS]
        [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST] = {
            [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST_ENTRY]
        }
    }
    [IFLA_VLAN_FILTER] = {
        [IFLA_VLAN_LIST] = {
            [IFLA_VLAN]
        }
    }
}

Some open questions:
    - The VLAN filter above shows a VLAN list. It could also be a bitmap or
the interface could provide both a bitmap and VLAN list for more flexibility
. Like the below

[IFLA_RX_FILTER] = {
    [IFLA_ADDRESS_FILTER] = {
        [IFLA_ADDRESS_FILTER_FLAGS]
        [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST] = {
            [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST_ENTRY]
        }
    }
    [IFLA_VLAN_FILTER] = {
        [IFLA_VLAN_BITMAP]
        [IFLA_VLAN_LIST] = {
            [IFLA_VLAN]
        }
    }
}

    - Do you see any advantage in keeping Unicast and multicast address list
separate ? Something like the below :
    [IFLA_RX_FILTER] = {
        [IFLA_ADDRESS_FILTER_FLAGS]
        [IFLA_UC_ADDRESS_FILTER] = {
            [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST] = {
                [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST_ENTRY]
            }
        }
        [IFLA_MC_ADDRESS_FILTER] = {
            [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST] = {
                [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST_ENTRY]
            }
        }
        [IFLA_VLAN_FILTER] = {
            [IFLA_VLAN_LIST] = {
                [IFLA_VLAN]
            }
        }
    }

    - Is there any need to keep address and vlan filters separate. And have
two rtnl_link_ops, set_rx_address_filter, set_rx_vlan_filter ?. I don't see
one .

    [IFLA_RX_ADDRESS_FILTER] = {
        [IFLA_ADDRESS_FILTER_FLAGS]
        [IFLA_ADDRESS_LIST] = {