Date:	Fri, 06 Jul 2012 17:38:22 +0800
From:	Li Yu <raise.sail@...il.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
CC:	Changli Gao <xiaosuo@...il.com>,
	Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	davidel@...ilserver.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Introduce to batch variants of accept() and epoll_ctl()
 syscall

于 2012年06月15日 16:51, Eric Dumazet 写道:
> On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 13:37 +0800, Li Yu wrote:
>
>> Of course, I think that implementing them should not be a hard work :)
>>
>> Em. I really do not know whether it is necessary to introduce to a new
>> syscall here. An alternative solution to add new socket option to handle
>> such batch requirement, so applications also can detect if kernel has
>> this extended ability with a easy getsockopt() call.
>>
>> Any way, I am going to try to write a prototype first.
>
> Before that, could you post the result of "perf top", or "perf
> record ...;perf report"

Sorry for I just have time to write a benchmark to reproduce this
problem on my test bed, below are results of "perf record -g -C 0".
kernel is 3.4.0:

Events: 7K cycles
+  54.87%  swapper  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] poll_idle
-   3.10%   :22984  [kernel.kallsyms]  [k] _raw_spin_lock
    - _raw_spin_lock
       - 64.62% sch_direct_xmit
            dev_queue_xmit
            ip_finish_output
            ip_output
          - ip_local_out
             + 49.48% ip_queue_xmit
             + 37.48% ip_build_and_send_pkt
             + 13.04% ip_send_skb

I can not reproduce complete same high CPU usage on my testing
environment, but top show that it has similar ratio of sys% and
si% on one CPU:

Tasks: 125 total,   2 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu0  :  1.0%us, 30.7%sy,  0.0%ni, 18.8%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi, 49.5%si,
0.0%st

Well, it seem that I must acknowledge I was wrong here. however,
I recall that I indeed ever encountered this in another benchmarking a
small packets performance.

I guess, this is since TX softirq and syscall context contend same lock
in sch_direct_xmit(), is this right?

thanks

Yu