Date:	Sun, 07 Oct 2012 01:21:09 +0800
From:	Haicheng Li <haicheng.li@...ux.intel.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	fengguang.wu@...el.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [net:master 1/9] pch_gbe_main.c:(.text+0x510370): undefined reference
 to `pch_ch_control_write'

On 10/06/2012 10:21 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Haicheng Li<haicheng.li@...ux.intel.com>
> Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 22:07:23 +0800
>
>> On 10/06/2012 09:22 PM, David Miller wrote:
>>> From: Haicheng Li<haicheng.li@...ux.intel.com>
>>> Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 20:07:08 +0800

>>> This is all very rediculous if you ask me.
>>>
>>> Why should the user have to know a detail like the underlying
>>> PTP chip type just to enable PTP on his networking card?
>>>
>>> Because that is what you are making him do with your change.
>>>
>>> Select removed the necessity of the user having to know these
>>> things.
>> However it possibly breaks the build...
>>
>> IMHO, the reason why the dependency of PCH_PTP becomes so tricky is
>> that the code of these two modules call the functions of each other
>> (bad code structure?). To fix it neatly, either we restructure the
>> code or just simply make it:
>> + depends on PTP_1588_CLOCK_PCH=y
>>
>> For PCH_GBE=m case, it does be able to pass the build test, but I'm
>> afraid it won't be smoothly workable via "insmod" due to the
>> codependency of these two when PCH_PTP is enabled.
>
> Then why does it work for IXGBE and others who use select?

They explicitly select all the possible dependencies if they are bug-free (I
didn't strictly check them).

Take IXGBE_PTP as example, it explicitly selects PPS, and also depends on
EXPERIMENTAL:
config IXGBE_PTP
         bool "PTP Clock Support"
         default n
         depends on IXGBE && EXPERIMENTAL
         select PPS
         select PTP_1588_CLOCK

So if you stick to use "select" as the convention of such build issue fixing,
fengguang's build failure would be fixed by:
	+ depends on EXPERIMENTAL
	+ select PPS
	+ select PTP_1588_CLOCK

would you prefer this way?