Date:	Fri, 21 Dec 2012 14:25:00 +0100
From:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: perm_addr get

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 02:09:55PM CET, bhutchings@...arflare.com wrote:
>On Fri, 2012-12-21 at 14:01 +0100, Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> From what I understand dev->perm_addr is set only in case the hw has
>> permanent hw address somewhere written (for example EPROM).
>>
>> So when I query device which does not have perm_addr set I get:
>>
>> testt1:~$ ethtool -P team0
>> Permanent address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
>>
>> Is this the correct behaviour? Wouldn't it be more correct if
>> ethtool_get_perm_addr() fails with -ENOENT for something like that?
>
>I don't think we should change the implementation now, as someone might
>depend on it.  It's trivial to distinguish this not-a-permanent-address
>case.  However the ethtool command output could be improved.

Well, not change it even if it is not correct? And by "trivial to distinguish"
you mean 00:00:00:00:00:00 ~ device has no permanent address?
But in some cases (like vxge, mac80211) it's possible to see 00:00:00:00:00:00
by ethtool -P even though the device has permanent address (set later on, after
register_netdev call).

I think that ethtool_get_perm_addr should return:
-ENOENT if dev has no perm addr
-EAGAIN if dev perm addr hasn't been obtained yet
0 (and addr) in other cases

And how exactly should be the ethtool output improved?

Thanks

Jiri