Date:	Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:15:41 -0500
From:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
To:	Vlad Yasevich <vyasevich@...il.com>
Cc:	Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, jiri@...nulli.us,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, kuznet@....inr.ac.ru, jmorris@...ei.org,
	yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org, kaber@...sh.net, thaller@...hat.com,
	stephen@...workplumber.org
Subject: Re: [patch net-next] ipv6: allow userspace to create address with
 IFLA_F_TEMPORARY flag

On Tue, 2013-10-29 at 12:58 -0400, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
> On 10/29/2013 10:31 AM, Dan Williams wrote:

> >> Ah, (a) does complicate things, I agree. But the tieing is essential
> >> currently. So it seems a netlink interface would be needed to tie a new
> >> address to an already installed one, if the kernel should still deal
> >> with the regeneration?
> >
> > I think it's simpler than that.  New flag set when adding the
> > non-private address that says "create and manage privacy addresses for
> > this non-private address".  The kernel then adds the privacy addresses
> > generated off the non-private address/prefixlen, and ties their lifetime
> > to the non-private address.  If the non-private address is removed, the
> > privacy addresses could get removed too.
> >
> > I don't think we need API to tie addresses to already installed ones,
> > because the kernel already has the privacy address generation code, so
> > why should userspace generate the privacy address at all?  Just leave
> > that to the kernel.

> >> I don't know about the policy. Does it really matter as distributions
> >> normally switch it on? But I would not like to see the option removed
> >> entirly, maybe the default could be changed.

> >> But this would only be needed if they were managed in user-space, no?
> >
> > "if they" == what?  privacy address or static address?  What
> > NetworkManager is trying to do is handle RAs in userspace with libndp
> > for various flexibility and behavioral reasons, but we'd really like to
> > leave all the temporary address stuff up to the kernel.
> >
> > So NM would handle RA/RS and when it gets a prefix, it would create the
> > IPv6 non-private address and add it to the interface.  When adding, it
> > would also set the "IFA_F_MANAGE_TEMP" flag (or whatever) and the kernel
> > would then handle all the privacy address generation, lifetimes, and
> > timers.  Basically, break some of the privacy code away from the
> > in-kernel RA handling so that privacy addresses could be triggered from
> > userland too.
> >
> > Would that be workable?
>
> You are still dependent on the NM/user app to do this and what happens
> if that apps wedges?

In my proposal, the kernel would still manage the lifetimes of all the
addresses, since user app would add the non-privacy address with the
correct lifetime, and the kernel would generate the privacy addresses
with a corresponding lifetime.  If the app wedges for some reason, then
the kernel will deprecate and eventually remove the non-privacy *and*
privacy addresses since their lifetimes have expired.

What if your dhclient wedges?  What if ovsd or teamd goes down?  Or your
openvpn, vpnc, pptp, pppd, sshd, whatever wedges?  There's a lot of
networking that's controlled by userland these days, and failure of
these things also potentailly wedges your network.  We should be
striving to make the best userland we can instead of trying to stuff
everything into the kernel in the name of reliability.

> I think we should just do privacy addresses automatically, or based on
> some sysconfig setting per interface to give users ability to turn it
> off.  But I agree with David, and I speak from experience.
> You don't whant address configuration to be done by userspace daemon.
> There are too many things that can go wrong.

Should IPv6 should be that different from IPv4?  DHCP is done by a
userspace daemon in all cases (v6 and v4), and other v4 is always done
by userland (static files, avahi-autoipd, other daemons).  You can never
get away from userland here, and we need more flexibility in userland
than the kernel currently provides with its addrconf implementation.

Dan