Date:	Mon, 11 Nov 2013 06:27:49 -0800
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	Sujith Manoharan <sujith@...jith.org>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Dave Taht <dave.taht@...il.com>
Subject: Re: TCP performance regression

On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 13:49 +0530, Sujith Manoharan wrote:

> I am not really clear on how this regression can be fixed in the driver
> since the majority of the transmission/aggregation logic is present in the
> TX completion path.

We have many choices.

1) Add back a minimum of ~128 K of outstanding bytes per TCP session,
   so that buggy drivers can sustain 'line rate'.

   Note that with 100 concurrent TCP streams, total amount of bytes
   queued on the NIC is 12 MB.
   And pfifo_fast qdisc will drop packets anyway.

   Thats what we call 'BufferBloat'

2) Try lower values like 64K. Still bufferbloat.

3) Fix buggy drivers, using a proper logic, or shorter timers (mvneta
case for example)

4) Add a new netdev attribute, so that well behaving NIC drivers do not
have to artificially force TCP stack to queue too many bytes in
Qdisc/NIC queues.