Date:	Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:48:42 +0100
From:	Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>
To:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
Cc:	Bob Falken <NetFestivalHaveFun@....com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Multicast routing stops functioning after 4G multicast packets recived.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 07:15:37AM -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 12/19/2013 07:09 AM, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 03:48:16PM +0100, Bob Falken wrote:
> >>Hello, I have an issue after kernel 2.6.37 and above.
> >>If i roll back to kernel 2.6.36.4 everything is fine.
> >>if recive more than 4294967295 multicast packets, the kernel does not
> >>register the multicast packets. and multicast routing does not
> >>functioning.
> >>(Tested bouth FIB_HASH and FIB_TRIE)
> >>Tested with xorp and pimd.
> >>I have abount 24 multicast groups, and it takes me about 17hours to
> >>reproduce the issue after a reboot.
> >>Reboot is reqired to fix the issue. (Tested to stop/start pimd/xorp,
> >>reload network module for the network interface "e1000e",
> >>Used birdge adapter and remove bridge adapter and readd bridge adapter to
> >>clear counters. none of thouse solves the issue.)
> >
> >Please test this with a recent kernel. 2.6.37 is really old and you
> >normally
> >won't get good support here with such old kernels.
>
> Note that he did test up to 3.11.9 and it still showed failures.

Oh sorry, I did not read to the end. ;)

An interesting hint could be to use dropwatch or perf script net_dropmonitor
to check where the fragments get dropped. Also nstat could give additional
hints where something might get wrong. Please use a recent kernel while
debugging this issue. Maybe a patch can get backported later.

Thanks,

  Hannes