Date:	Wed, 08 Jan 2014 07:28:44 -0500
From:	Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>
To:	Alban Crequy <alban.crequy@...labora.co.uk>,
	Andrew Collins <bsderandrew@...il.com>
CC:	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
	Brad Johnson <bjohnson@...ssa.com>,
Subject: Re: Possible to add netfilter hooks to IFB driver?

On 01/07/14 06:18, Alban Crequy wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 15:51:37 -0700
> Andrew Collins <bsderandrew@...il.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Stephen Hemminger
>> <stephen@...workplumber.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The risk is creating the same races that made IMQ unacceptable.
>>> --
>>
>> I believe openwrt nowadays uses a TC action which runs the packet
>> through prerouting then pulls in the mark off the ct entry into the
>> skb, so ingress+IFB can take action on it.
>
> Thanks for the info. I guess the implementation is this one:
>
> https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/generic/patches-3.12/621-sched_act_connmark.patch
> https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/network/utils/iproute2/patches/210-add-act_connmark.patch
> https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/network/config/qos-scripts/files/usr/lib/qos/generate.sh#L343
>
>> Perhaps a cleaned up version of this would be suitable for upstream?
>
> I don't know but this seems a useful feature to me.

I like that approach - discussion was had here on netdev
about a year ago refer to:
http://marc.info/?t=135591832200007&r=1&w=2
since it is a long thread, jump to here:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=135634890120552&w=2

I believe Pablo brought it up at the last netfilter meeting
and there was no disagreement to get it going.
I dont know if kids still use these expressions - but send him
some virtual beer and he may return the love.

cheers,
jamal