Date:	Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:35:34 -0800
From:	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:	Mugunthan V N <mugunthanvnm@...com>
Cc:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: TI CPSW Ethernet Tx performance regression

2014/1/15 Mugunthan V N <mugunthanvnm@...com>:
> Hi
>
> On Thursday 16 January 2014 02:51 AM, Florian Fainelli wrote:

>>> If you don't get any specific suggestions, you could try bisecting to
>>> find out which specific commit(s) changed the performance.
>> Not necessarily related to that issue, but there are a few
>> weird/unusual things done in the CPSW interrupt handler:
>>
>> static irqreturn_t cpsw_interrupt(int irq, void *dev_id)
>> {
>>         struct cpsw_priv *priv = dev_id;
>>
>>         cpsw_intr_disable(priv);
>>         if (priv->irq_enabled == true) {
>>                 cpsw_disable_irq(priv);
>>                 priv->irq_enabled = false;
>>         }
>>
>>         if (netif_running(priv->ndev)) {
>>                 napi_schedule(&priv->napi);
>>                 return IRQ_HANDLED;
>>         }
>>
>> Checking for netif_running() should not be required, you should not
>> get any TX/RX interrupts if your interface is not running.
>
> The driver also supports Dual EMAC with one physical device. More
> description can be found in [1] under the topic *9.2.1.5.2 Dual Mac
> Mode*. If the first interface is down and the second interface is up,
> without checking the interface we will not know which napi to schedule.
>

>>         priv = cpsw_get_slave_priv(priv, 1);
>>         if (!priv)
>>                 return IRQ_NONE;
>>
>> Should not this be moved up as the very first conditional check to do?
>> is not there a risk to leave the interrupts disabled and not
>> re-enabled due to the first 5 lines at the top?
>
> This has to be kept here to check if the interrupt is triggered by the
> second Ethernet port interface when the first interface is down.
>

>>         if (netif_running(priv->ndev)) {
>>                 napi_schedule(&priv->napi);
>>                 return IRQ_HANDLED;
>>         }
>>
>> This was done before, why doing it again?
>>
>> In drivers/net/ethernet/ti/davinci_cpdma.c::cpdma_chan_process()
>> treats equally an error processing a packet (and will stop there) as
>> well as successfully processing num_tx packets, is that also
>> intentional? Should you attempt to keep processing "quota" packets?
>
> I tried it in my local build but no success.
>

>> As Ben suggests, bisecting what is causing the regression is your best bet here.
>
> I can do a bisect but the issue is I don't have a good commit to bisect
> as 3.2 kernel is TI maintained repo and is not upstreamed as is. CPSW
> with base port support is available in mainline kernel from v3.7, and I
> have tested till v3.7 and the Transmit performance is poor when compared
> to v3.2 kernel maintained by TI.

Whenever I had bad TX performance with hardware, the culprit was that
transmit buffers were not freed quickly enough so the transmit
scheduler cannot push as many packets as expected. When this happens,
the root cause for me was bad TX interrupt which messed up the TX flow
control, but there are plenty other stuff that can go wrong.

You could try to check a few things like TX interrupt rate for the
same workload on both kernels, dump the queue usage every few seconds
etc...

--
Florian