Date:	Mon, 3 Feb 2014 23:47:51 +0100
From:	Mathias Kretschmer <mathias.kretschmer@...us.fraunhofer.de>
To:	<dborkman@...hat.com>
CC:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: linux-3.14-rc1 & PACKET_QDISC_BYPASS : slow_path warning

Hi Daniel,

we are developing a wired/wireless MPLS switch. Currently the data plane
runs in user space using PF_PACKET sockets via RX_RING/TX_RING.

We had hoped to test the PACKET_QDISC_BYPASS option since this seems to
be the proper optimization for our purposes.

Unfortunately, we're seeing a 'slow path' warning for every packet that
is being sent out. With PACKET_QDISC_BYPASS disabled, no warnings are
dumped. Hardware is an older AMD Geode LX embedded board (ALiX).

BTW, this happens while sending via a wireless (802.11) adhoc interface.
Hence, it might be an interaction with the ieee80211 sub system.

Please, let me know if you need any further information.

Cheers,

Mathias

--
Dr. Mathias Kretschmer, Head of Competence Center
Fraunhofer FOKUS Network Research

View attachment "slow-path-3.14.txt" of type "text/plain" (2292 bytes)