Date:	Tue, 22 Apr 2014 03:22:08 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <ben@...adent.org.uk>
To:	Stefan Wahren <info@...egoodbye.de>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Porting ethernet over spi driver

On Fri, 2014-04-18 at 11:17 +0200, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to port a ethernet over spi driver to current mainline, which
> originally based on kernel 2.6.
>
> Now i'm searching for some guidelines, checklists, common pitfalls or
> just hints about that.
>
> Is there something about that, which is up to date?

I don't think there is.

> Is there a list or something of legacy function, which shouldn't be used
> anymore?

No but the compiler should tell you about functions that were removed!

> Are there any new must have features?

You don't say which 2.6.y version you started with, but API changes I
can think of that come up when backporting are:

- 2.6.24: NAPI now involves a napi_struct rather than fields in
net_device
- 2.6.29: net device operation pointers moved into struct net_device_ops
- 2.6.29: GRO added (can be useful if you have RX checksum offload)
- 2.6.36: ndo_get_stats64 added as alternative to ndo_get_stats
- 2.6.37: vlan_hwaccel_* functions removed; the driver must attach the
tag and call the regular receive function
- 2.6.39: ethtool feature setting replaced by net device operations
ndo_fix_features & ndo_set_features
- 3.2: ndo_set_multicast_list and ndo_set_rx_mode operations merged
- 3.10: VLAN functions and feature flags changed to allow for both
802.1q and 802.1ad tags

Most of the interesting new features are related to multiqueue and
protocol offloads that I wouldn't expect to exist in an SPI-attached
Ethernet controller.  There are a few other things you can now expose if
the hardware supports it:

- MDI(-X) status and control (through ethtool)
- EEE status and control (through ethtool)
- Feature flags to disable Ethernet FCS insertion, validation and
stripping

> Is there a good reference implementation for ethernet over spi?

Don't know.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers. - Leonard Brandwein

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (812 bytes)