Date:	Wed, 21 May 2014 21:36:34 +0100
From:	Linus Gasser <list@...kas-al-nour.org>
To:	Veaceslav Falico <vfalico@...hat.com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Bonding with tun-devices

Le 21/05/14 16:54, Veaceslav Falico a écrit :
> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 02:59:22PM +0100, Linus Gasser wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I'm trying to create a bonded interface using tun-devices created by the
>>
>> ssh -NTCf -w 0:0
>>
>> command. The reason is that I'm behind a satellite connection with
>> per-stream limited bandwidth...
>>
>> On some older kernels everything was fine, and I could do:
>>
>> # ssh -NTCf -w 0:0 web
>> # ssh -NTCf -w 1:1 web
>> # modprobe bonding mode=0 miimon=100
>> # ifconfig bond0 172.16.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
>> # ifconfig bond0 hw ether 12:34:56:78:9a
>> # ifenslave bond0 tun0 tun1
>
> It should fail here, as tun (from the first approach*) doesn't have
> ndo_set_mac_address, and bonding relies on that, *unless* fail_over_mac is
> set to 1.
>
> Could you try setting fail_over_mac = 1 on modprobe or via sysfs and
> retesting?
>
> * I've tried to quickly recreate your setup but hit a panic (already
> submitted a fix).
>
> Also, enabling debug for bonding (via dynamic_debug or anything else) and
> attaching the output would help a lot.

Hi,

OK, I tried to add "fail_over_mac=1" to the modprobe-call, but both with
"ifenslave" and "ip add" I get the same error. In the logs I found (with
fail_over_mac):

kernel: bonding: Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.7.1 (April 27, 2011)
kernel: bonding: MII link monitoring set to 100 ms
kernel: bonding: Warning: fail_over_mac only affects active-backup mode.
bonding: bond0: Warning: The first slave device specified does not
support setting the MAC address.
bonding: bond0: Warning: The first slave device specified does not
support setting the MAC address.

As far as I see, my kernel doesn't have dynamic_debug enabled. I'm in
the midst of downloading it - hold on for a day or two ;) If you can
tell me how I can debug otherwise, I'll be glad to do so.

Linus