Date:	Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:29:37 +0000
From:	David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>
To:	'Vlad Yasevich' <vyasevich@...il.com>,
Subject: RE: SCTP seems to lose its socket state.

From: Vlad Yasevich
> On 06/09/2014 08:49 AM, David Laight wrote:
> > I think I have now reproduced the problem.
> >
> >> From: David Laight

> >> I think I've reproduced this on a 3.14.0 kernel.
> >>
> >> System A: Bind to port 1234, connect to B:1234.
> >>           If the connect fails, retry 10 seconds later.
> >>           When the connection completes send some data.
> >>           Disconnect if the reflected data isn't received within 2 seconds.
> >> System B: Bind to port 1234, connect to A:1234.
> >>           If the connect fails, retry 10 seconds later.
> >>           Reflect any received data.
> >
> > Add here, setsockopt(sock, SO_LINGER, { 1, 0 }, ...);
> > If no data is received with a few seconds, close() the socket
> > (do not call shutdown()), and retry.
> >
> > Initially the INIT chunks generate ABORTs (no listener) so both
> > programs just retry every 10 seconds.
> >
> > On B run:
> >     iptables -A OUPUT -p sctp --chunk-types any ABORT -j DROP
> >     iptables -A INPUT -p sctp --chunk-types any DATA -j DROP
> > The first allows the connection to complete, and then drops the
> > ABORT sent by close().
> > The second stops B acking the data.
>
> Not only that, but the second entry stops B from accepting DATA.
> So, now system B is is guaranteed to destroy it's association after
> it hasn't heard anything for a while, but ABORT is dropped so A
> doesn't learn about it.

Indeed, that is carefully contrived so that A will receive a
duplicate INIT.

B shouldn't destroy the association, these should be TCP-like connections.
The application might give up, but nothing in the M3UA spec requires it
to run a timer (although our version does).

> > System A now receives a new INIT (with a different TSN) and responds with
> > an INIT_ACK (followed by a COOKIE_ECHO and COOKIE_ACK) even though
> > it doesn't have a socket in a suitable state for the connection.
>
> It still has an association in a SHUTDOWN-PENDING state.
> This is collision case A where one end has restarted while the other
> remains open.
>
> The troubling spot here is the ULP has closed the socket already, but
> the association is still around waiting for DATA to be acked.
>
> This appears to be a hole in the spec.  I think that the correct
> sequence here would be to send a COOKIE-ACK followed by SHUTDOWN
> so that the remote comes correctly configures an association and
> immediately enters statefull close.
> The other solution would be to change the sending application to send
> an ABORT if the data hasn't been reflected back.

I will probably change our code to disconnect with ABORT rather than
SHUTDOWN, especially in the cases where the remote system doesn't
seem to be responding.

	David