Date:	Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:27:39 +0200
From:	Arend van Spriel <arend@...adcom.com>
To:	Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>
CC:	<brcm80211-dev-list@...adcom.com>,
	<linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: BCM4313 & brcmsmac & 3.12: only semi-working?

On 08/27/14 12:02, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> 27.08.2014 01:37, Arend van Spriel wrote:
>> On 08/26/14 18:15, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> []
>> Well, sorry about that. I did see the other messages fly by and noticed you were using the wl driver so assumed you were fine with that.
>
> That's past already.  I had several issues with wl driver,
> and current issue is that even the latest (Aug-2014) version
> of wl driver doesn't work with current kernel.  So I can't
> really even compare wl and brcmsmac, -- in kernels<  3.16
> brcmsmac does not work, but wl can't be compiled for 3.16,
> and using different kernels for comparison is a bit wrong
> because there may be differences in other areas.
>
>>     Admittedly the brcmsmac got very little attention as all our resources were put on brcmfmac.
>
> That happens. :)
>
> []
>> Ok. Let's put frustration aside and make an effort. So could you make a trace using trace-cmd utility. The log can get quite big. The brcmsmac driver needs to be built with CONFIG_BRCM_TRACING enabled. Please execute the following commands (assuming you use ubuntu with network-manager):
>>
>> $ sudo stop network-manager
>> $ sudo insmod brcmfmac.ko
>> $ sudo trace-cmd record -e brcmsmac:*
>>
>> In another terminal:
>>
>> $ sudo start network-manager
>>
>> The trace-cmd must be stopped using ctrl-c.
>
> Okay.  This turned out to be not so simple.
>
> My initial attempt indicated that brcmsmac in 3.16 does
> not work at all.  This isn't actually true - subsequent
> attempts shows that it works.  I was ready to conclude
> the problem is fixed (after transferring several gigs
> of data over wifi, with tracing enabled or disabled,
> after fresh boot or after reboot from wl-enabled kernel,
> etc - it all worked.
>
> Until I hit the same stall as I described initially, the
> same which happened numerous times with kernel 3.12 ($subj).
>
> After several mins of transferring it stalled.  But this
> time (unlike with 3.12), it continued after about 30 secs.

A kernel log (so no trace) of stalling interface might be useful so if
you can provide that and put a marker in there where you believe it
stalled that would be great.

> So, while my initial test of 3.16 indicated the prob is still
> here, at the same (or even worse) state, I can't really
> reproduce it, at least in a reliable way.  There's something
> wrong still, but at least current version is significantly
> more useful than before (in a hope it wont stall at the
> very wrong moment exactly ;).
>
> There's one more difference between brcmsmac and wl -- with
> wl, I see significantly better speed, -- it is about 5MB/sec,
> while with brcmsmac it jumps between 2.0..4.5MB/sec (with
> 58..65Mbps connection rate in both cases).  Here's a typical
> iwconfig output for brcmsmac version:
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"mjt"
>            Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 64:70:02:29:D9:30
>            Bit Rate=65 Mb/s   Tx-Power=19 dBm
>            Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>            Power Management:off
>            Link Quality=58/70  Signal level=-61 dBm
>            Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>            Tx excessive retries:56355  Invalid misc:472   Missed beacon:0
>
> I'll keep trying/testing various cases, in attempt to
> understand what's going on.  For now, I can't provide the
> requested traces (it wont be very useful, I guess).
>
> BTW, are there other things not implemented in brcmsmac?
> I see the module reminds about power management, what
> does it mean?  Anything else missing?

Well, the wireless twiki has that info [1]. Regarding features the
important ones that I know are still not there are 40MHz support, and
power-save. The bcm4313 does not support 40MHz. Community contributions
added ibss, and ap mode. For P2P and TDLS probably some changes would be
needed although most of the legwork is done in mac80211.

Regards,
Arend

[1]
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211#To_be_done_for_softmac_driver