Date:	Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:23:54 -0700
From:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com>,
	Praveen Krishnamoorthy <praveen.krishnamoorthy@...gotech.com>,
	Sreekanth Reddy <sreekanth.reddy@...gotech.com>,
	Abhijit Mahajan <abhijit.mahajan@...gotech.com>,
	Cas ey Leedom <leedom@...lsio.com>,
	Hariprasad S <hariprasad@...lsio.com>,
	MPT-FusionLinux.pdl@...gotech.com,
	Linux SCSI List <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM

On Monday, September 22, 2014 09:49:06 PM Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Thu 2014-09-11 13:23:54, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > Yes, but we mostly do this anyway.  SCSI for instance does asynchronous
> > > scanning of attached devices (once the cards are probed)
> >
> > What would it do it card was a bit slow to probe?
> >
> > > but has a sync
> > > point for ordering.
> >
> > Quite often we do not really care about ordering of devices. I mean,
> > does it matter if your mouse is discovered before your keyboard or
> > after?
>
> Actually yes, I suspect it does.
>
> I do evtest /dev/input/eventX by hand, occassionaly. It would be
> annoying if they moved between reboots.

I am sorry but you will have to cope with such annoyances. It' snot like we
fail to boot the box here.

The systems are now mostly hot-pluggable and userland is supposed to
handle it, and it does, at least for input devices. If you want stable naming
use udev facilities to rename devices as needed or add needed symlinks (by-id,
etc.).

Thanks.

--
Dmitry