Date:	Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:10:08 -0700
From:	Tom Herbert <therbert@...gle.com>
To:	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>
Cc:	Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
	Nicolas Dichtel <nicolas.dichtel@...nd.com>,
	ryazanov.s.a@...il.com, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@...tstofly.org>,
	aviadr@...lanox.com, Felix Fietkau <nbd@...nwrt.org>,
	Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram@...aswitch.com>, ronye@...lanox.com,
	simon.horman@...ronome.com,
	Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 8/9] switchdev: introduce Netlink API

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch> wrote:
> On 09/20/14 at 03:50pm, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
>> I think HW should not be limited by SW abstractions whether
>> these abstractions are called flows, n-tuples, bridge or else.
>> Really looking forward to see "device reporting the headers as
>> header fields (len, offset) and the associated parse graph"
>> as the first step.
>>
>> Another topic that this discussion didn't cover yet is how this
>> all connects to tunnels and what is 'tunnel offloading'.
>> imo flow offloading by itself serves only academic interest.
>
> We haven't touched encryption yet either ;-)
>
> Certainly true for the host case. The Linux on TOR case is less
> dependant on this and L2/L3 offload w/o encap already has value.

Thomas, can you (or someone else) quantify what the host case is. I
suppose there may be merit in using a switch on NIC for kernel bypass
scenarios, but I'm still having a hard time understanding how this
could be integrated into the host stack with benefits that outweigh
complexity. The history of stateful offloads in NICs is not great, and
encapsulation (stuffing a few bytes of header into a packet) is in
itself not nearly an expensive enough operation to warrant offloading
to the NIC. Personally, I wish if NIC vendors are going to focus on
stateful offload I rather see it be for encryption which I believe
currently does warrant offload at 40G and higher speeds.

Tom