Date:	Thu, 14 May 2015 15:20:36 -0500
From:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
To:	John Whitmore <arigead@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: GSM Modem management?

On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 20:44 +0100, John Whitmore wrote:
> Chances are that I'm in the wrong place here, "Linux" networking having so many
> parts, many of which aren't in the kernel, that being said this might be
> considered the centre of it all, so I thought I'd start here and see if
> somebody would point me in a direction that was better placed to answer some
> of my queries.
>
> I'm working on a mobile system, RaspberryPi based, which has two 4G USB
> Dongles for communications to the Internet. Both dongles are the same make and
> model but have different service provider sims. The idea being that if one has
> no coverage hopefully the other does have some degree of connectivity. I
> started by connecting up to the internet using network-manager-gnome for a
> single dongle. Unfortunately when I started a ping test after a couple of ping
> messages it crashed the whole raspbian system without any message going to
> /var/log/messages. Totally locked up.

Odd, are these dongles using AT commands or are they using one of the
proprietary protocols like QMI, MBIM, or QCDM?  It's highly unlikely
that NetworkManager + ModemManager would be crashing your system when
using plain AT commands, but there have in the past been driver problems
with QMI and MBIM.  Can you give specifics on the dongles?

> Having failed with the Network-manager I used wvdial to establish a connection
> and that is as happy as larry, pinging away.

Are you using PPP as the mechanism here?  Unless you have very low
bandwidth requirements I'd recommend using the pseudo-ethernet interface
provided by the modem (which often also requires using a proprietary
protocol like QMI or MBIM to control it) since this gives much higher
throughput especially with HSPA+ and LTE.

> My questions are to do with how to manage two identical Dongles. At present
> when usb-modeswitch ejects them, from CD Drive, into modem configuration, when
> "qmi_wwan" assignes a network name. I'd like to assign udev rules to assign
> carrier based names to the network interfaces. I'm not sure if udev will
> interfere with qmi_wwan?

Aha, so you are using Qualcomm-based dongles :)  So NetworkManager +
ModemManager will natively try to use QMI + ethernet on these dongles
just like Windows does, because that provides the most flexibility and
speed.  So the crashes/hangs you were experiencing may be due to driver
issues in the qmi_wwan and cdc_wdm modules.  What kernel version are you
using here too?

> That is possibly the easy part. I then want to attach some logic to manage the
> connections in a very basic manner and perhaps display connectivity
> information to the user on the desktop. Could somebody tell me where this
> functionality would be added? I assume that ppp has no idea about GSM signal
> strength. It'd be great if a simple user space program could monitor DBus and
> bring up or drop the connections as conditions change, but I guess that might
> be asking for a little bit much. So if not ppp what sub-system controls the
> Modem?

It all depends on the modem itself and what it supports.  We've tried to
develop ModemManager as single system service that works with all kinds
of modems and insulates you from these kind of issues.  The end result
is that nothing in the Linux kernel itself provides this kind of
management; the kernel only provides interfaces to the modem's firmware
and its up to userspace to figure out what protocols the modem speaks
(AT, QMI, MBIM, QCDM, etc) and to talk those protocols to the modem.

Dan