Date:	Mon, 05 Oct 2015 08:29:09 -0700
From:	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
To:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
CC:	"Rosen, Rami" <rami.rosen@...el.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"eladr@...lanox.com" <eladr@...lanox.com>,
	"idosch@...lanox.com" <idosch@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: HW communication debugging interface - ideas?

On 15-10-05 08:18 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 04:58:42PM CEST, andrew@...n.ch wrote:

>>> Yep, but that does not really matter. I believe we should find debugging
>>> interface which is protocol agnostic. Just arbitrary messages
>>> monitoring.
>>
>> Hi Jiri
>>
>> O.K, it is just that you mentioned wireshark. Passing the frames to
>> network interface taps would make this trivial.
>
> That is true. But using netlink+nlmon would do the same.

Also I guess if you go this direction you want to make it generic
enough for any drivers to use it to snoop software/firmware msgs. This
is common across many devices.

In the past though I've just used ethtool dump commands and some
"scripts" on top of this to debug devices. And when it got really
bad wrote some throw away code to debug my issue. I guess it might
be nice to have something in the kernel to improve this but have
you considered using the tracing features that already exist?

.John