Date:	Mon, 9 Nov 2015 02:39:24 +0000
From:	Dexuan Cui <decui@...rosoft.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	David Ahern <dsa@...ulusnetworks.com>,
	Simon Xiao <sixiao@...rosoft.com>
CC:	"netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Haiyang Zhang <haiyangz@...rosoft.com>,
	"devel@...uxdriverproject.org" <devel@...uxdriverproject.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: RE: linux-next network throughput performance regression

Why is a single TCP flow trickier than multiple TCP flows?
IMO it should be easier to analyze the issue of a single TCP flow?

Here the perf drop in Simon's test is very obvious -- 50%, but it looks Eric
can't reproduce it, so I suppose some net-related kernel config options may
do the magic?

Maybe Simon can narrow the regression down by bisecting. :-)

> Make sure IRQ are properly setup/balanced, as I know that IRQ names were
> changed recently and your scripts might have not noticed...
>
> Also "ethtool -c eth0" might show very different interrupt coalescing
> params ?
>
> I too have a Mellanox 40Gb in my lab and saw no difference in
> performance with recent kernels.
>
> Of course, a simple "perf record -a -g sleep 4 ; perf report" might
> point to some obvious issue. Like unexpected segmentation in case of
> forwarding...

Thanks,
-- Dexuan