Date:	Tue, 23 Feb 2016 21:06:13 -0800
From:	Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>
To:	Gilberto Bertin <gilberto.bertin@...il.com>
Cc:	Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [net-next RFC 0/4] SO_BINDTOSUBNET

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:27 AM, Gilberto Bertin
<gilberto.bertin@...il.com> wrote:
> This series introduces support for the SO_BINDTOSUBNET socket option, which
> allows a listener socket to bind to a subnet instead of * or a single address.
>
> Motivation:
> consider a set of servers, each one with thousands and thousands of IP
> addresses. Since assigning /32 or /128 IP individual addresses would be
> inefficient, one solution can be assigning subnets using local routes
> (with 'ip route add local').

Hi Gilberto,

The concept is certainly relevant, but allowing binds by subnet seems
arbitrary. I can imagine that someone might want to bind to a list of
addresses, list of interfaces, list of subnets, or complex
combinations like a subnet on one interface, and list of addresses on
another. So I wonder if this is another use case for a BPF program on
a listener socket, like a program for a scoring function. Maybe this
could even combined with  BPF SO_REUSERPORT somehow?

Tom