Date:	Mon, 13 Jun 2016 08:56:44 -0700
From:	John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
To:	Richard Cochran <richardcochran@...il.com>,
	Henrik Austad <henrik@...tad.us>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-media@...r.kernel.org,
	alsa-devel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	henrk@...tad.us, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: [very-RFC 0/8] TSN driver for the kernel

On 16-06-13 04:47 AM, Richard Cochran wrote:
> [...]
>
> Please, no new socket type for this.
>
>> What remains
>> - tie to (g)PTP properly, currently using ktime_get() for presentation
>>   time
>> - get time from shim into TSN and vice versa
>
> ... and a whole lot more, see below.
>
>> - let shim create/manage buffer
>
> (BTW, shim is a terrible name for that.)
>
> [sigh]
>
> People have been asking me about TSN and Linux, and we've made some
> thoughts about it.  The interest is there, and so I am glad to see
> discussion on this topic.
>
> Having said that, your series does not even begin to address the real
> issues.  I did not review the patches too carefully (because the
> important stuff is missing), but surely configfs is the wrong
> interface for this.  In the end, we will be able to support TSN using
> the existing networking and audio interfaces, adding appropriate
> extensions.
>
> Your patch features a buffer shared by networking and audio.  This
> isn't strictly necessary for TSN, and it may be harmful.  The
> Listeners are supposed to calculate the delay from frame reception to
> the DA conversion.  They can easily include the time needed for a user
> space program to parse the frames, copy (and combine/convert) the
> data, and re-start the audio transfer.  A flexible TSN implementation
> will leave all of the format and encoding task to the userland.  After
> all, TSN will some include more that just AV data, as you know.
>
> Lets take a look at the big picture.  One aspect of TSN is already
> fully supported, namely the gPTP.  Using the linuxptp user stack and a
> modern kernel, you have a complete 802.1AS-2011 solution.
>
> Here is what is missing to support audio TSN:
>
> * User Space
>
> 1. A proper userland stack for AVDECC, MAAP, FQTSS, and so on.  The
>    OpenAVB project does not offer much beyond simple examples.
>
> 2. A user space audio application that puts it all together, making
>    use of the services in #1, the linuxptp gPTP service, the ALSA
>    services, and the network connections.  This program will have all
>    the knowledge about packet formats, AV encodings, and the local HW
>    capabilities.  This program cannot yet be written, as we still need
>    some kernel work in the audio and networking subsystems.
>
> * Kernel Space
>
> 1. Providing frames with a future transmit time.  For normal sockets,
>    this can be in the CMESG data.  For mmap'ed buffers, we will need a
>    new format.  (I think Arnd is working on a new layout.)
>
> 2. Time based qdisc for transmitted frames.  For MACs that support
>    this (like the i210), we only have to place the frame into the
>    correct queue.  For normal HW, we want to be able to reserve a time
>    window in which non-TSN frames are blocked.  This is some work, but
>    in the end it should be a generic solution that not only works
>    "perfectly" with TSN HW but also provides best effort service using

When I looked at this awhile ago I convinced myself that it could fit
fairly well into the DCB stack (DCB is also part of 802.1Q). A lot of
the traffic class to queue mappings and priories could be handled here.
It might be worth taking a look at ./net/sched/mqprio.c and ./net/dcb/.

Unfortunately I didn't get too far along but we probably don't want
another mechanism to map hw queues/tcs/etc if the existing interfaces
work or can be extended to support this.