Date:	Fri, 22 Jul 2016 21:38:17 +0200
From:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:	Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, yotamg@...lanox.com,
	eladr@...lanox.com, idosch@...lanox.com, nogahf@...lanox.com,
	ogerlitz@...lanox.com, jhs@...atatu.com,
	Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 0/9] mlxsw: implement port mirroring offload

Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 09:26:30PM CEST, f.fainelli@...il.com wrote:
>On 07/22/2016 12:20 PM, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>>> Is there any logic that guards against the following cases where the
>>> target device is:
>>>
>>> - outside of the switch hardware/cluster (which would imply going
>>> through software)?
>>
>> In that case only kernel (slow) path can be used. Not possible to
>> offload of course.
>
>So then what happens if I target a device that is outside of the switch,
>do we get an error like -EOPNOTSUPP, or this just silently succeeed, but
>nothing happens?

As you can see, the check in mlxsw_sp_port_add_cls_matchall_mirror
returns -ENOTSUPP. That is handled in mall_change and is skip_sw is not
set, the rule is installed only in sw. This behaviour is aligned with
the rest of the ndo_setup_tc users, like cls_u32 and cls_flower.

>>> - has a downstream speed which is lower than the mirrored device?
>>
>> The default behaviour is "strict" which means that if the mirrored
>> packet can't be send, the packet is dropped. That is aligned with the
>> behaviour of act_mirred.
>
>What determines if the packet can be sent or not?

If there are free buffers for the packet to be send to mirroring device,
the original packet is sent and the mirrored as well.