Date:   Mon, 19 Sep 2016 22:49:47 -0700
From:   Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
CC:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        davem@...emloft.net, idosch@...lanox.com, eladr@...lanox.com,
        yotamg@...lanox.com, nogahf@...lanox.com, ogerlitz@...lanox.com,
        nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com, linville@...driver.com, tgraf@...g.ch,
        gospo@...ulusnetworks.com, sfeldma@...il.com, ast@...mgrid.com,
        edumazet@...gle.com, hannes@...essinduktion.org,
        dsa@...ulusnetworks.com, jhs@...atatu.com,
        vivien.didelot@...oirfairelinux.com, john.fastabend@...el.com,
        andrew@...n.ch, ivecera@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 0/2] fib4 offload: notifier to let hw to
 be aware of all prefixes

On 9/19/16, 8:15 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 04:59:22PM CEST, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com wrote:

>>> There is not list of asic instances. Therefore the notifier fits much better here.

>>> switchdev asic instances and devlink instances are orthogonal.
>> maybe it is not today...but the requirement for devlink was to provide a way to communicate
>> to the switch driver
>> - global switch attributes or
>> - things that cannot go via switch ports (exactly the problem you are trying to solve for routes here)
> Devlink is a general beast, not switch specific one. I see no need to
> use fib->devlink->driver route inside kernel. Devlink is for userspace
> facing.

yes, sure. it has a dev abstraction and an api. devlink discussion started a few years ago in the context
of switch asics for the very same reason that it will help direct the offload call to the
switch device driver when you cant apply the settings on a per port basis.
You have kept the abstraction and api generic ..which is a great thing.
But that can't be the reason for it to not support its original intent...if there is a way.

>> so,  maybe an instance of switch asic modeled via devlink will help here and possibly all/other switchdev
>> offload hooks ?
> Maybe, but in case of fibs, the notifier just fits great. I see no need
> for anything else.

I think its better to stick with 'offload api or notifier' whichever we pick ..
to be consistent with other switchdev offload areas. That was the original intent of
introducing the switchdev api layer. If we are now replacing the switchdev api with notifiers,
assuming 'notifiers are the best way' to offload routes, lets keep it consistent with
other switchdev offload areas too.

I know you already have them for links...and that is good..because links already have notifiers.
we will need the same thing for acls. Having notifiers for acls too seems like an overkill.
we will then have to extend this to multicast and mpls routes too. will all these be notifiers too ?

Do you see any scale problems with using notifiers ?. as you know these ascis can scale to
32k-128k routes.

lets discuss more at netdev1.2..if your patches are not in by then.

thanks,
Roopa