Date:   Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:03:24 -0700
From:   Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>
To:     Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
Cc:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "iovisor-dev@...ts.iovisor.org" <iovisor-dev@...ts.iovisor.org>,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>,
        Rana Shahout <rana.shahot@...il.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...mgrid.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>,
        Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>, Nathan Willis <nate@....net>,
        linux-doc@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: XDP (eXpress Data Path) documentation

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
<brouer@...hat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As promised, I've started documenting the XDP eXpress Data Path):
>
>  [1] https://prototype-kernel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networking/XDP/index.html
>
> IMHO the documentation have reached a stage where it is useful for the
> XDP project, BUT I request collaboration on improving the documentation
> from all. (Native English speakers are encouraged to send grammar fixes ;-))

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for taking the initiative on the this, The document reads more
like a design doc than description right now, that's probably okay
since we could use a design doc.

Under "Important to understand" there are some disclaimers that XDP
does not implement qdiscs or BQL and fairness otherwise. This is true
for it's own traffic, but it does not (or at least should not) affect
these mechanisms or normal stack traffic running simultaneously. I
think we've made assumptions about fairness between XDP and non-XDP
queues, we probably want to clarify fairness (and also validate
whatever assumptions we've made with testing).

Thanks,
Tom