Date:   Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:01:54 +0200
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
To:     Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>
Cc:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "iovisor-dev@...ts.iovisor.org" <iovisor-dev@...ts.iovisor.org>,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>,
        Rana Shahout <rana.shahot@...il.com>,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        Brenden Blanco <bblanco@...mgrid.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...com>,
        Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>, Nathan Willis <nate@....net>,
        linux-doc@...r.kernel.org, brouer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: XDP (eXpress Data Path) documentation

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:03:24 -0700
Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 2:08 AM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
> <brouer@...hat.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As promised, I've started documenting the XDP eXpress Data Path):
> >
> >  [1] https://prototype-kernel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networking/XDP/index.html
> >
> > IMHO the documentation have reached a stage where it is useful for the
> > XDP project, BUT I request collaboration on improving the documentation
> > from all. (Native English speakers are encouraged to send grammar fixes ;-))
> >
> Hi Jesper,
>
> Thanks for taking the initiative on the this, The document reads more
> like a design doc than description right now, that's probably okay
> since we could use a design doc.

Yes, I fully agree.

I want to state very clearly, this document is not an attempt to hijack
the XDP project and control the "spec".  This is an attempt to collaborate.
We discuss things on the mailing list, each with our own vision of the
project, and most times we reach an agreement. But nobody document this
agreement.

Month later, we make implementation choices that goes against these
agreements, because we simply forgot.  If someone remembers, we have to
reiterate the same arguments again (like it just happened with the
XDP_ABORTED action, my mistake).  And can anybody remember the
consensus around VLANs, it never got implemented that way...

I had to start the doc project somewhere, so I dumped my own vision
into the docs, and what I could remember from upstream discussions.
I need collaboration from others to adjust and "fix" my vision of the
project, into something that becomes a common ground we all can agree
on.

If some part of the docs provoke you, good, then you have a reason to
correct and fix it.  I'll do my best to keep an very open-mind about
any changes.  This should be a very "live" document.

> Under "Important to understand" there are some disclaimers that XDP
> does not implement qdiscs or BQL and fairness otherwise. This is true
> for it's own traffic, but it does not (or at least should not) affect
> these mechanisms or normal stack traffic running simultaneously. I
> think we've made assumptions about fairness between XDP and non-XDP
> queues, we probably want to clarify fairness (and also validate
> whatever assumptions we've made with testing).

I love people pointing out mistakes in the documentation.  I want
update this ASAP when people point it out.  I'll even do the work of
integrating and committing these changes, for people too lazy to git
clone the repo themselves.

For you section Tom, I fully agree, but I don't know how to formulate
and adjust this in the text.

For people that want to edit the docs, notice the link "Edit on GitHub"
which takes you directly to the file you need to edit...

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer