Date:   Fri, 16 Dec 2016 14:18:49 -0800
From:   Tom Herbert <tom@...bertland.com>
To:     Josef Bacik <jbacik@...com>
Cc:     Hannes Frederic Sowa <hannes@...essinduktion.org>,
        Craig Gallek <kraigatgoog@...il.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
        Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Soft lockup in inet_put_port on 4.6

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Josef Bacik <jbacik@...com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Josef Bacik <jbacik@...com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Josef Bacik <jbacik@...com> wrote:

>>> Yeah so I looked at the code some more and actually my patch is really
>>> bad.  If sk2->sk_reuseport is set we'll look at sk2->sk_reuseport_cb, which
>>> is outside of the timewait sock, so that's definitely bad.
>>>
>>> But we should at least be setting it to 0 so that we don't do this
>>> normally.  Unfortunately simply setting it to 0 doesn't fix the problem.  So
>>> for some reason having ->sk_reuseport set to 1 on a timewait socket makes
>>> this problem non-existent, which is strange.
>>>
>>> So back to the drawing board I guess.  I wonder if doing what craig
>>> suggested and batching the timewait timer expires so it hurts less would
>>> accomplish the same results.  Thanks,
>>

>> Wait no I lied, we access the sk->sk_reuseport_cb, not sk2's.  This is the
>> code
>>
>>                        if ((!reuse || !sk2->sk_reuse ||
>>                            sk2->sk_state == TCP_LISTEN) &&
>>                            (!reuseport || !sk2->sk_reuseport ||
>>                             rcu_access_pointer(sk->sk_reuseport_cb) ||
>>                             (sk2->sk_state != TCP_TIME_WAIT &&
>>                             !uid_eq(uid, sock_i_uid(sk2))))) {
>>
>>                                if (!sk2->sk_rcv_saddr || !sk->sk_rcv_saddr
>>                                    sk2->sk_rcv_saddr == sk->sk_rcv_saddr)
>>                                        break;
>>                        }
>>
>> so in my patches case we now have reuseport == 1, sk2->sk_reuseport == 1.
>> But now we are using reuseport, so sk->sk_reuseport_cb should be non-NULL
>> right?  So really setting the timewait sock's sk_reuseport should have no
>> bearing on how this loop plays out right?  Thanks,
>

> So more messing around and I noticed that we basically don't do the
> tb->fastreuseport logic at all if we've ended up with a non SO_REUSEPORT
> socket on that tb.  So before I fully understood what I was doing I fixed it
> so that after we go through ->bind_conflict() once with a SO_REUSEPORT
> socket, we reset tb->fastreuseport to 1 and set the uid to match the uid of
> the socket.  This made the problem go away.  Tom pointed out that if we bind
> to the same port on a different address and we have a non SO_REUSEPORT
> socket with the same address on this tb then we'd be screwed with my code.
>
> Which brings me to his proposed solution.  We need another hash table that
> is indexed based on the binding address.  Then each node corresponds to one
> address/port binding, with non-SO_REUSEPORT entries having only one entry,
> and normal SO_REUSEPORT entries having many.  This cleans up the need to
> search all the possible sockets on any given tb, we just go and look at the
> one we care about.  Does this make sense?  Thanks,

Hi Josef,

Thinking about it some more the hash table won't work because of the
rules of binding different addresses to the same port. What I think we
can do is to change inet_bind_bucket to be structure that contains all
the information used to detect conflicts (reuse*, if, address, uid,
etc.) and a list of sockets that share that exact same information--
for instance all socket in timewait state create through some listener
socket should wind up on single bucket. When we do the bind_conflict
function we only should have to walk this buckets, not the full list
of sockets.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Tom