Date:   Mon, 07 Aug 2017 10:47:14 -0700
From:   John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, jhs@...atatu.com,
        xiyou.wangcong@...il.com, davem@...emloft.net
CC:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, mlxsw@...lanox.com
Subject: Re: Qdisc->u32_node - licence to kill

On 08/07/2017 09:41 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Hi Jamal/Cong/David/all.
>
> Digging in the u32 code deeper now. I need to get rid of tp->q for shared
> blocks, but I found out about this:
>
> struct Qdisc {
>         void                    *u32_node;
> };
>
> Yeah, ugly. u32 uses it to store some shared data, tp_c. It actually
> stores a linked list of all hashtables added to one qdiscs.
>
> So basically what you have is, you have 1 root ht per prio/pref. Then
> you can have multiple hts, linked from any other ht, does not matter in
> which prio/pref they are.

We can create arbitrary hash tables here independent of prio/pref via
TCA_U32_DIVISOR. Then these can be linked to other hash tables via
TCA_U32_LINK commands.

prio/pref does not really play any part here from my reading, except as
a further specifier in the walk callbacks. Making it a useful filter on
dump operations.

> Do I understand that correctly that prio/pref only has meaning if
> linking does not take place, because if there is linking, the prio/pref
> of inserted rule is simply ignored?

I think even then the prio/pref meaning is dubious, from u32_change,

                for (pins = rtnl_dereference(*ins); pins;
                     ins = &pins->next, pins = rtnl_dereference(*ins))
                        if (TC_U32_NODE(handle) < TC_U32_NODE(pins->handle))
                                break;

I think the list insert is done via handle not via prio/pref.

> That is the most confusing thing I saw in net/sched/ so far.
> Is this a bug? Sounds like one.

I don't think this is a bug at very least I don't see how we can
change it without breaking users. I know people depend on the hash map
capabilities and linking logic.

> Did someone introduce *u32_node (formerly static struct tc_u_common
> *u32_list;) just to allow this weirdness?
>
> Can I just remove this shared tp_c and make the linking to other
> hashtables only possible within the same prio/pref? That would make
> sense to me.

The idea to make linking hash tables only possible within the same
prio/pref will break existing programs. We can't do this its part of
UAPI now and people depend on it.