Date:   Thu, 7 Sep 2017 14:06:37 +0530
From:   Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@...com>
To:     Adam Ford <aford173@...il.com>
CC:     Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>,
        Grygorii Strashko <grygorii.strashko@...com>,
        <linux-omap@...r.kernel.org>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: DA850-evm MAC Address is random

On Thursday 07 September 2017 03:11 AM, Adam Ford wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@...com> wrote:
>> Hi Adam,

>>> I am using U-Boot 2017.01. Yes, the kernel was built using
>>> davinci_all_defconfig and no other config change. Before booting kernel,
>>> can you confirm that ethaddr is set in U-Boot environment? This is what
>>> fdt_fixup_ethernet() reads to fixup the FDT before boot.
>>>
>>> Here is my complete boot log with environment variable dump.
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/25430265/
>>
>> Were you able to get rid of the random mac address problem?
>
> Not yet.  I haven't been able to rebuild Arago using TI's instructions
> on the Wiki.  I am not sure if it's a dependency issue or something
> else.  When I run Linux 4.13 using Buildroot as the rootfs, it does
> not appear to run da850_evm_m25p80_notify_add().  I am going to
> investigate whether or not da850_evm_init() is getting called.  I was
> wondering if you had some insight as to what calls that function?  It
> looks like it's defined as part of MACHINE_START(DAVINCI_DA850_EVM,
> "DaVinci DA850/OMAP-L138/AM18x EVM"), but I don't know how it gets
> called.

These functions are called only when booting using the legacy board file
method. From your logs before, you are booting using device tree. So
these functions are irrelevant.

Can you check if the mac address has been populated in the device-tree
by dumping it from /proc/device-tree/.../local-mac-address? That will
tell us if U-Boot is updating the mac address or not.

Thanks,
Sekhar