Date:   Fri, 8 Sep 2017 09:18:48 -0500
From:   Adam Ford <aford173@...il.com>
To:     Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@...com>
Cc:     Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>,
        Grygorii Strashko <grygorii.strashko@...com>,
        linux-omap@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: DA850-evm MAC Address is random

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 3:36 AM, Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@...com> wrote:
> On Thursday 07 September 2017 03:11 AM, Adam Ford wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Sekhar Nori <nsekhar@...com> wrote:
>>> Hi Adam,

>>> Were you able to get rid of the random mac address problem?
>>
>> Not yet.  I haven't been able to rebuild Arago using TI's instructions
>> on the Wiki.  I am not sure if it's a dependency issue or something
>> else.  When I run Linux 4.13 using Buildroot as the rootfs, it does
>> not appear to run da850_evm_m25p80_notify_add().  I am going to
>> investigate whether or not da850_evm_init() is getting called.  I was
>> wondering if you had some insight as to what calls that function?  It
>> looks like it's defined as part of MACHINE_START(DAVINCI_DA850_EVM,
>> "DaVinci DA850/OMAP-L138/AM18x EVM"), but I don't know how it gets
>> called.
>
> These functions are called only when booting using the legacy board file
> method. From your logs before, you are booting using device tree. So
> these functions are irrelevant.

Ok. That makes a lot more sense now.  I was really confused why the functions
were not getting called.

> Can you check if the mac address has been populated in the device-tree
> by dumping it from /proc/device-tree/.../local-mac-address? That will
> tell us if U-Boot is updating the mac address or not.

It does not appear to getting called.

# hexdump ./soc@...0000/ethernet@...000/local-mac-address
0000000 0000 0000 0000
0000006
#

I'll work on something that pulls in the MAC address then inserts it
into the device tree like the recommendation that Tony made.

Thanks for all your help.

adam