Date:   Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:56:32 -0800
From:   Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:     Jochen Friedrich <jochen@...am.de>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: b53 tags on bpi-r1 (bcm53125)

Le 12/29/17 à 12:21, Florian Fainelli a écrit :
> Hi Jochen,
>
> Le 12/18/17 à 02:44, Jochen Friedrich a écrit :
>> Hi Florian,
>>
>> unfortunately, this doesn't make any difference.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, BPI-R1 has pull-down resistors on LED6 and 7
>> (MII_MODE0/1). However, the public available 53125U sheet doesn't
>> document these pins:
>>
>> LED[6] IMP_MODE[0] Pull-up Active low (since IMP Mode is not used)
>> LED[7] IMP_MODE[1] Pull-up Active low (since IMP Mode is not used)
>>
>> Is this MII mode maybe incompatible with Broadcom tags?
>
> AFAICT, it should not, this is largely independent from enabling
> Broadcom tags.
>
> I have now reproduced this on my BPI-R1 as well and am looking at what
> might be going wrong.

OK, so I have been able to find out what was going on. On BCM53125 and
earlier switches, we need to do a couple of things for Broadcom tags to
be usable:

- turn on managed mode (SM_SW_FWD_MODE)
- configure Port 8 for IMP mode (B53_GLOBAL_CONFIG, setting bit
GC_FRM_MGMT_PORT_MII)

After doing that, I can now see the correct outgoing packets on my host,
however, the replies don't seem to be delivered to the per-port DSA
network devices, and I suspect it's because of stmmac, so I am
investigating this now.
--
Florian