Date:   Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:13:10 +0000
From:   Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@...gle.com>
To:     packetdrill <packetdrill@...glegroups.com>,
        Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: packetdrill 2.0 release

Hi All,

We're happy to announce the 2.0 release of the Google version of the
packetdrill network testing tool.

The code may be found at the packetdrill-v2.0 tag in the Google packetdrill
github repo:
   https://github.com/google/packetdrill

The commit is here:

https://github.com/google/packetdrill/commit/9a0ade62b7c8e3a19854b5855178dc3bb9d7f453

The 2.0 commit message, summarizing features and contributors, is included
below for a quick overview.

cheers,
neal

---
net-test: packetdrill: merge Google packetdrill changes through April 2018

This commit merges into Google's public packetdrill repository the
majority of the packetdrill tool changes made at Google in the period
2013-2018 (after the initial open source release of packetdrill).

Major features added in this commit include:

+ support for testing:
   + cmsg data
   + TCP send timestamping
   + TCP timestamping opt stats (TCP_NLA_BUSY and friends)
   + TCP zero-copy (e.g. see --send_omit_free)
   + TCP MD5 options
   + TCP urgent pointer field
   + experimental and RFC-compliant TCP Fast Open options
   + ICMP sockets
   + the IPv4 or IPv6 TOS field
   + IPv6 flow labels
   + in IPv6-only environments
+ wider system call support:
   + epoll system calls (epoll_create(), epoll_ctl(), epoll_wait())
   + pipe()
   + splice()
   + cap_set()
+ optional final clean-up commands for destructor-like tear-down
   commands that are basically always executed at termination, whether
   scripts fail or succeed
+ improved Python support:
   + exporting symbolic names for tcpi_state values
   + exporting recent additions to Linux struct tcp_info
   + exporting TCP_CC_INFO for Vegas, DCTCP, BBR
   + exporting SO_MEMINFO
+ the ability to test shared libraries that support the sockets API,
   rather than just the kernel sockets API (see packetdrill.h)
+ preprocessor-style symbol definitions, e.g. -Dfoo=bar
+ support for random local IP addresses

Willem de Bruijn spearheaded this effort to upstream this batch of
changes, and put in a huge amount of work to make this happen. I would
like to thank him for all his work on this.

I would also like to thank the following Googlers for their
contributions over the years to the packetdrill code base, which are
reflected in this patch:

   Wei Wang
   Maciej Żenczykowski
   Yuchung Cheng
   Eric Dumazet
   Soheil Hassas Yeganeh
   Dimitris Michailidis
   Willem de Bruijn
   Yaogong Wang
   Eric Salo
   Chonggang Li
   Priyaranjan Jha
   Andreas Terzis
   Xiao Jia
   Mike Maloney
   Barath Raghavan
   Yousuk Seung
   Nandita Dukkipati
   Michael Davidson
   Hsiao-keng Jerry Chu
   Greg Thelen
   Chema Gonzalez
   Luigi Rizzo
   Kevin Athey
   Jeff Grafton
   Francis Y. Yan
   Fabien Duchene
   Bill Sommerfeld
   Anatol Pomazau

This commit has been verified to build cleanly with the default gcc
compiler on the following Linux distributions:

   Debian 8
   Debian 9
   Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4
   Ubuntu 14.04
   Ubuntu 17.10

This commit has not been tested on or ported to any BSD variants, due
to lack of time among members of our team. We are happy to accept
patches to get it to compile/run on popular BSD variants.