Date:   Wed, 4 Jul 2018 13:41:42 +0000
From:   Ben Whitten <Ben.Whitten@...rdtech.com>
To:     Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>,
        Andreas Färber <afaerber@...e.de>
CC:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org"
        <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        Jian-Hong Pan <starnight@...cu.edu.tw>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Marcel Holtmann <marcel@...tmann.org>,
        "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Matthias Brugger <mbrugger@...e.com>,
        Janus Piwek <jpiwek@...oweurope.com>,
        Michael Röder <michael.roeder@...et.eu>,
        Dollar Chen <dollar.chen@...ec.com>,
        Ken Yu <ken.yu@...wireless.com>,
        Steve deRosier <derosier@...il.com>,
        "linux-spi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-spi@...r.kernel.org>,
        "LoRa_Community_Support@...tech.com"
        <LoRa_Community_Support@...tech.com>,
        Hasnain Virk <Hasnain.Virk@....com>
Subject: RE: [RFC net-next 15/15] net: lora: Add Semtech SX1301

> Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 15/15] net: lora: Add Semtech SX1301
>
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 06:40:41PM +0200, Andreas Färber wrote:
>
> > Do you have an alternative solution for abstraction? A regmap would seem
> > to require putting everything into a monolithic SX1301 driver despite
> > those connected chipsets actually being regular, external SPI chips that
> > could also be attached to non-SX1301 SPI masters.
>
> I'm suggesting a regmap for those external SPI chips.  It doesn't matter
> what the host uses.

Currently in my testing drivers I have used regmap for both the SX1301 and the downstream SX1257.
In my SX1257 driver currently the regmap is backed via SPI with devm_regmap_init_spi, please correct me if I am wrong but if I understand correctly this could be split out to regmap backed by SPI in the case of a direct host connection, and a regmap backed by the SX1301's regmapped strobing register interface, regmap_bus?
Is there a precedent to this I can examine?