Date:   Fri, 26 Oct 2018 14:18:58 +0200
From:   Wolfgang Walter <linux@...m.de>
To:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, fw@...len.de, steffen.klassert@...unet.com,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org,
        christophe.gouault@...nd.com, gregkh@...uxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: Regression: kernel 4.14 an later very slow with many ipsec tunnels

Am Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2018, 10:34:50 schrieb David Miller:
> From: Wolfgang Walter <linux@...m.de>
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 11:38:19 +0200
>
> > there is now a new 4.19 which still has the big performance regression
> > when
> > many ipsec tunnels are configured (throughput and latency get worse by 10
> > to 50 times) which makes any kernel > 4.9 unusable for our routers.
> >
> > I still don't understand why a revert of the flow cache removal at least
> > for the longterm kernels is that a bad option (maybe as a compile time
> > option), especially as there is no workaround available.
>
> You do know that the flow cache is DDoS targettable, right?
>
> That's why we removed it, we did not make the change lightly.

Though this is true, we now have simply a permanent DDoS situation. The
removal of the flow cache leads to the situation so that with enough ipsec-
tunnels you are now always as bad as you would have been prior under a DDoS
attack.

This is not comparable to the routing cache situation where a fast, well
tested solution already existed (for routes in a table; if you use a lot of
rules for policy routing this may be a different story).

Futher I don't think that the DoS is that a strong argument for the removal of
the routing cache if the routing performance would have dropped 10 times and
more.

Also, the routing cache was even a problem with legitimate traffic, so I never
had a problem with the moderate performance regression it caused here.

> Adding a DDoS vector back into the kernel is not an option sorry.

All kernels >= 4.14 are in our use case as bad as if they were under attack.
They are completely unusable and I even can't

> Please work diligently with Florian and others to try and find ways to
> soften the performance hit.

I proposed to revert this for the longterm kernels and I only depending on a
compile time option which explicitely had to be switched on. Then we could
start using 4.19. People not using ipsec or who use it only with < 100 rules
would still live without flow cache.

Regards,
--
Wolfgang Walter