Date:   Thu, 29 Nov 2018 14:58:26 +0100
From:   Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com>
To:     Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...e.dk>
Cc:     Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>,
        Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>,
        linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, nbd@....name,
        Daniel Borkmann <borkmann@...earbox.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/5] add XDP support to mt76x2e/mt76x0e drivers

> Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com> writes:

> > Hi Jesper,
> >

> >> Today XDP assumes the frame is an Ethernet frame.  With WiFi I guess
> >> this assumption change, right?
> >
> > yes correct, SoftMAC devices report 802.11 frames to the stack
> >
> >>   I worry a bit about this, as XDP is all about performance, and I don't
> >> want to add performance regressions, by requiring all XDP programs or
> >> core-code to having to check-frame-type before proceeding. That said, I
> >> do think it is doable, without adding performance regressions.
> >>
> >> Option #1 is to move the check-frame-type to setup time.  By either
> >> having frame-type be part of eBPF prog, or supply frame-type as option
> >> XDP attach call.  And then reject attaching XDP prog to a device, where
> >> the expected frame-type does not match.
> >>

> > I guess it will be enough to avoid loading a 'non-WiFi' bpf program on
> > a 802.11 netdevice (and vice versa). We could add a flag (or something
> > similar) in XDP_SETUP_PROG section of netdev_bpf data structure and
> > use ieee80211_ptr netdevice pointer in order to guarantee that the bpf
> > program will work on the expected 'frame-type'
>
> Yeah, a flag would be good; we've been discussing that for other XDP use
> cases; it's not a done deal yet, but I think it would be useful.

Do you think something wifi specific is ok (e.g bool wifi) or do you prefer
something more general (e.g u32 frame_type)?

> >> Option#2, leave it up to eBPF-programmer if they want to add runtime
> >> checks.  By extending xdp_rxq_info with frame-type (default to
> >> Ethernet), which allow the eBPF-programmer choose to write a generic
> >> XDP program that both work on Ethernet and WiFi, or skip-check as they
> >> know this will e.g. only run on Wifi.  (Note xdp_rxq_info is static
> >> read-only info per RX-queue, will all Wifi frames have same frame-type?.
> >>

> > 802.11 standards define three frame subtype (data, management and control).
> > Subtypes could be detected parsing 802.11 header
> >

> >> Also consider what happens in case of XDP_REDIRECT, from a Wifi NIC to
> >> an Ethernet NIC.  It would of-cause be cool to get this working cross,
> >> Wifi-Ethernet.
> >>

> > Very cool :) On tx side the driver will accept standard ethernet frames in
> > ndo_xdp_xmit pointer
>
> How do you envision that will work with drivers that build software
> 802.11 frames? The TX hook would have to be in mac80211 somewhere,
> wouldn't it?

In order to perform 802.3 --> 802.11 xdp forwarding my current idea is is to have
ndo_xdp_xmit pointer in mac80211 that will forward the frame to the low-level driver
(more or less what I did in the RFC series to upload the bpf program to mt76).
We will probably need to pass some info to the driver from mac80211 (e.g sequence
number or hw key idx to use)

> >> Option#3 is to say, Wifi XDP is so different that we should create a
> >> new (enum) bpf_prog_type.  And then still see if we can leverage some
> >> of the same core-code (as long as it doesn't slowdown performance).
> >>

> > Do you think that Option#3 will be more 'future-proof' respect to
> > Option#1?
>
> My feeling is that WiFi devices are not sufficiently different to
> warrant a whole new program type. We risk combinatorial explosion for
> all the stuff that is the same, but now need to be tested for two (or N)
> types...

Agree

Regards,
Lorenzo